Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Recipe for Straffe Hendrik Quad or similar?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-25-2012, 12:20 AM   #1
Brewitt
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 67 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default Recipe for Straffe Hendrik Quad or similar?

Anyone have a recipe for a Straffe Hendrik Quad from Brouwerij de Halve Maan in Bruges? Unfortunately (or fortunately) it was the only quad I tasted while in Belgium and I loved it. I know Westleveren 12 is supposed to be the pinnacle of this style but I haven't tasted it. Sounds similar from the recipes I have seen for that. Are these similar beasts? Any feedback is welcome. Thanks.

Old 11-23-2012, 03:17 AM   #2
frtrey
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Subscribe in hopes that someone answers.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2012, 04:18 AM   #3
Brewitt
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by frtrey View Post
Subscribe in hopes that someone answers.
Well, the only one to answer is me, the first poster. I have not found a recipe for this beer. I have limited experience with Belgians but have brewed what I consider to be a fairly nice Golden Strong Ale using yeast from North Coast Brewing's Pranqster. So, having no suggested recipe, I decided to take a shot at a modification of a Westvleteren 12 clone that I found here <http://homebrewingadventures.blogspot.com/2007/04/westvleteren-abt-12-clone-recipe.html>.

I pretty much stuck to the recipe but I made my own Dark Candi Syrup and did the mash using BIAB. I also made some small modifications to the hops. I used WLP530 as suggested. It spent a month in the fermenter, I hit the numbers almost perfectly and then was bottled at 11.3% ABV. It tasted malty, roasty, but seemed fairly dry and alcoholic. A big beer that I was very optimistic about. At bottling I went for 3 volumes of CO2 using sugar and added fresh Pranqster yeast to carb. Now, two months later, the flavors have started to blend very nicely, it is quite carbonated but it is way too sweet for my taste.

One of the things I like about Straffe Hendrik is that it is very dry. I'm disappointed and I haven't seen much change between one month and two in the bottle. Not sure if it is just the maltiness or the candi sugar I don't like or if I have unfermented sugar in the bottle making it sweet.

Old 11-26-2012, 04:43 AM   #4
jmcquesten
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 22 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewitt

Well, the only one to answer is me, the first poster. I have not found a recipe for this beer. I have limited experience with Belgians but have brewed what I consider to be a fairly nice Golden Strong Ale using yeast from North Coast Brewing's Pranqster. So, having no suggested recipe, I decided to take a shot at a modification of a Westvleteren 12 clone that I found here <http://homebrewingadventures.blogspot.com/2007/04/westvleteren-abt-12-clone-recipe.html>.

I pretty much stuck to the recipe but I made my own Dark Candi Syrup and did the mash using BIAB. I also made some small modifications to the hops. I used WLP530 as suggested. It spent a month in the fermenter, I hit the numbers almost perfectly and then was bottled at 11.3% ABV. It tasted malty, roasty, but seemed fairly dry and alcoholic. A big beer that I was very optimistic about. At bottling I went for 3 volumes of CO2 using sugar and added fresh Pranqster yeast to carb. Now, two months later, the flavors have started to blend very nicely, it is quite carbonated but it is way too sweet for my taste.

One of the things I like about Straffe Hendrik is that it is very dry. I'm disappointed and I haven't seen much change between one month and two in the bottle. Not sure if it is just the maltiness or the candi sugar I don't like or if I have unfermented sugar in the bottle making it sweet.
I would think that some plain table sugar adittions would have helped dry it up. According to jamil z, the sugar really helps to dry it out. He recommends adding the sugar a few days into fermentation. He also says that various candi sugars and homemade stuff doesn't 't really add much compared to plain sugar, unless you get the real belgian candi syrup (made with beets and sometimes dates). I definitely noticed a difference when using the candi syrup vs sugar, but it was more of a taste difference. I'm kinda off topic with the candi syrup thing, but some plain cane sugar during primary, will help dry your beer.

Old 11-26-2012, 05:26 PM   #5
Brewitt
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcquesten View Post
I would think that some plain table sugar adittions would have helped dry it up. According to jamil z, the sugar really helps to dry it out. He recommends adding the sugar a few days into fermentation. He also says that various candi sugars and homemade stuff doesn't 't really add much compared to plain sugar, unless you get the real belgian candi syrup (made with beets and sometimes dates). I definitely noticed a difference when using the candi syrup vs sugar, but it was more of a taste difference. I'm kinda off topic with the candi syrup thing, but some plain cane sugar during primary, will help dry your beer.
I made the candi sugar according to directions from this link:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/20-l...trient-114837/

Using nitrogenous compounds during the inversion process leads to the maillard reaction and very nice flavors typical of belgian candi sugar. The addition of that sugar lead to a very vigorous ferment typical of adding pure sugar. However, I don't know if it left a lot of residual complex sugars that were sweet. The only reason I suspect not is the the sample I took at bottling seemed quite dry. That said, the sugar added at bottling should have been fully consumed, especially after adding fresh yeast. However, the degree of carbonation does not seem like 3 volumes CO2 so maybe not.

Old 01-28-2013, 05:41 AM   #6
beancurdturtle
Recipes 

I sent an email inquiry to Brouwerij Straffe Hendrik De Halve Maan to see if the brewery or the brewer would give some hints about grist, yeast, fermentation schedule etc. No response yet, but I'm hopeful.

Tomorrow I will have a chalice of the Straffe Hedrik Quad at a local restaurant that specializes in Belgian beer. I'll try to pick out some malt characters - this is not a La Trappe or Westy 12 type Quad, there are specialty malts in it. It leans more to the Rochefort style.

I'll see if I can get small pours of the other Belgians to see if I can identify the yeast strain too. I don't think it's WLP 530 (Westmalle strain). Seems more like Chouffe or Piraat to me by memory.

Anyway, I do love this Quad. Hope I can pick up enough by tasting and sensorating to come close.

Cheers!

Old 01-29-2013, 04:36 PM   #7
Brewitt
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

If you can deduce what seems to be a reasonable recipe, I would be pleased to hear it. It clearly is not Westy 12-like. My clone is a good strong dark ale that pleases some who love those heavy malty belgians but it is just not my style. I don't know Piraat but I can see the Chouffe. I'm very curious to know what your impressions are.

Old 01-30-2013, 12:47 AM   #8
beancurdturtle
Recipes 

I'm going to work up a recipe. I had four pales to get a hint of the yeast esters. Leffe Blonde, La Chouffe, Piraat, and Kwak. As I suspected, the La Chouffe was closest in yeast ester characters, especially the tangerine like fruitiness. There was a similarity to a Wee Heavy in the base malt profile. Lots of signs of Dark and Amber Candi Syrup. Richness of figs and stewed prunes like Special B. Couldn't really place a hop character, but I'll find a noble with sweet orange peel and chamomile characters - just enough for balance.

So, I'll go with a Pilsner and Pale base, some Special B, Dark and Amber Candi Syrup, La Chouffe yeast, mild orange and floral noble hops, and maybe a touch of one or two other dark specialty grains. Mash at about 156F for mouthfeel to balance out 13% Candi Syrup and 6% beet sugar. Ferment 69F to 76F to finish. Crash and bulk cold condition. After 6 months, add priming sugar and fresh bottling yeast and go to the bottle. Bottle condition several months. That's the current plan. I'm still working the details.

Old 09-17-2014, 03:09 AM   #9
ShepFL
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by beancurdturtle View Post
I'm going to work up a recipe. I had four pales to get a hint of the yeast esters. Leffe Blonde, La Chouffe, Piraat, and Kwak. As I suspected, the La Chouffe was closest in yeast ester characters, especially the tangerine like fruitiness. There was a similarity to a Wee Heavy in the base malt profile. Lots of signs of Dark and Amber Candi Syrup. Richness of figs and stewed prunes like Special B. Couldn't really place a hop character, but I'll find a noble with sweet orange peel and chamomile characters - just enough for balance.

So, I'll go with a Pilsner and Pale base, some Special B, Dark and Amber Candi Syrup, La Chouffe yeast, mild orange and floral noble hops, and maybe a touch of one or two other dark specialty grains. Mash at about 156F for mouthfeel to balance out 13% Candi Syrup and 6% beet sugar. Ferment 69F to 76F to finish. Crash and bulk cold condition. After 6 months, add priming sugar and fresh bottling yeast and go to the bottle. Bottle condition several months. That's the current plan. I'm still working the details.
Bump - any progress to share?

Be the person you would want as a friend because at the end of the game the King and Pawn go in the same box.

Old 09-28-2014, 04:44 PM   #10
beancurdturtle
Recipes 

I found specialty grains is not the way to go for this recipe. It was more like a BDS than a Quad. Try something like this instead:
Mash:
Pilsner (2 Row) Bel (2.0 SRM) 75.0 %
Special B Malt (180.0 SRM) 2.3 %
Mash at 150F for 75 min.

Boil:
Candi Syrup D-80 (80.0 SRM) 11.5 %
Candi Syrup D-180 (180.0 SRM) 5.8 %
Cane (Beet) Sugar (0.0 SRM) 2.9 %
Saaz Boil 60.0 min for 8 IBUs
Styrian Goldings Boil 60.0 mi for 10 IBUs

White Labs WLP550 Belgian Ale Yeast or Wyeast 34522 Belgian Ardennes. Make a huge starter.

Begin fermentation at 63F and ramp up to 78F over a week.
Keep at 78F 24 hours, drop back to 68F over a week.
Leave on yeast for a week.
Rack to secondary and bulk cold condition 6 to 8 months.
Move to bottles with Danstar CBC-1 or Fermentis F-2 and prime for 3 volumes.

Quick Reply