Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Recipe Requests: Partial Mash Stone IPA and Bison Chocolate Stout Clones
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2008, 04:34 PM   #1
imaguitargod
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Local Mind Expander of Cleveland, OH
Posts: 1,046
Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Default Recipe Requests: Partial Mash Stone IPA and Bison Chocolate Stout Clones

Hey folks, me again. Looking to gather my info for a second homebrew. I'm looking for something that doesn't take too long (no more than a month from brew to drink) and was thinking about a Stone IPA and Bison Chocolate Stout clone since I love them both. I want to do partial mash and a 5 gallon batch. For refferance, my grain options are here and my yeast options are over here with this as my sugars. I am hoping to use DME. Thanks in advance, you guys really helped me out for the last batch.

__________________

Brewer for Hoppin' Frog Brewery.
"I am not an alcoholic, I’m a drunk. An alcoholic means that I have a problem and when I drink all my problems go away."

imaguitargod is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2008, 06:13 PM   #2
chefchris
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Gainesville, Florida
Posts: 1,650
Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default

There's the Green Brewing issue of BYO Magazine that has the recipe for the Bison Chocolate stout in it. It came out 2 or 3 issues ago.

__________________
staygoldBREWING

I think you are confuisng circle k with a reach around. - Denny's Evil Concoctions
chefchris is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2008, 06:24 PM   #3
humann_brewing
More Humann than human
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
humann_brewing's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: the sun
Posts: 15,727
Liked 313 Times on 311 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Default

The website has this for the stout

OG 1.058, 17 IBU, 2-row, carmel, chocolate, roast barley, and munich malts.

__________________
humann_brewing is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2008, 06:35 PM   #4
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Upper Michigan
Posts: 62,831
Liked 4925 Times on 3571 Posts
Likes Given: 992

Default

I'd make the stout, if I needed it ready in a month. An IPA recipe would be pretty bitter and harsh in only 4 weeks. If you could wait 6 weeks, though, I'd make the Stone IPA clone.

__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006

Find me on facebook: Lorena Evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
Yooper is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2008, 09:09 PM   #5
imaguitargod
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Local Mind Expander of Cleveland, OH
Posts: 1,046
Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefchris View Post
There's the Green Brewing issue of BYO Magazine that has the recipe for the Bison Chocolate stout in it. It came out 2 or 3 issues ago.
I checked their website and it's not up there. I'll double check my local mag shop and see if they still have that issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by humann_brewing View Post
The website has this for the stout

OG 1.058, 17 IBU, 2-row, carmel, chocolate, roast barley, and munich malts.
I'm just a beginner and do not know how to really formulate a recipe from just that info
Quote:
Originally Posted by YooperBrew View Post
I'd make the stout, if I needed it ready in a month. An IPA recipe would be pretty bitter and harsh in only 4 weeks. If you could wait 6 weeks, though, I'd make the Stone IPA clone.
I can wait 6 weeks.
__________________

Brewer for Hoppin' Frog Brewery.
"I am not an alcoholic, I’m a drunk. An alcoholic means that I have a problem and when I drink all my problems go away."

imaguitargod is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2008, 11:53 PM   #6
chefchris
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Gainesville, Florida
Posts: 1,650
Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default

Sorry I was in the middle of a brew day and didn't have time to type it out.

All Grain
OG-1.058
FG- 1.020
IBU- 25
SRM- 67
ABV- 4.8%

7.5 lbs organic 2-row pale malt
1.5 lbs organic munich malt
2 lbs organic CaraMunich malt
1 lbs organic chocolate malt
.5 lbs organic roasted barley
1.0 oz cocoa

6 AAU Magnum hops (60 min)
(0.5 oz of 12% alpha acids)
2 AAU Cascade hops (2 min)
(0.4 oz of 5% alpha acids)

ale yeast (Bison uses a proprietary strain and suggests you use an alt yeast)
(1.5qt/1.5 L yeast starter)

0.75 cup corn sugar (for priming)

Mash at 152F. To mash in, add one-third of the grains and stir in the cocoa. Layer remaining two-thirds of grain bed over this. Boil for 75-90 minutes. Ferment at 70F.

You can just put that into BeerSmith and convert it to PM. They give an extract recipe as well so let me know if you need that.

__________________
staygoldBREWING

I think you are confuisng circle k with a reach around. - Denny's Evil Concoctions
chefchris is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2008, 05:02 PM   #7
imaguitargod
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Local Mind Expander of Cleveland, OH
Posts: 1,046
Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefchris View Post
Sorry I was in the middle of a brew day and didn't have time to type it out.

All Grain
OG-1.058
FG- 1.020
IBU- 25
SRM- 67
ABV- 4.8%

7.5 lbs organic 2-row pale malt
1.5 lbs organic munich malt
2 lbs organic CaraMunich malt
1 lbs organic chocolate malt
.5 lbs organic roasted barley
1.0 oz cocoa

6 AAU Magnum hops (60 min)
(0.5 oz of 12% alpha acids)
2 AAU Cascade hops (2 min)
(0.4 oz of 5% alpha acids)

ale yeast (Bison uses a proprietary strain and suggests you use an alt yeast)
(1.5qt/1.5 L yeast starter)

0.75 cup corn sugar (for priming)

Mash at 152F. To mash in, add one-third of the grains and stir in the cocoa. Layer remaining two-thirds of grain bed over this. Boil for 75-90 minutes. Ferment at 70F.

You can just put that into BeerSmith and convert it to PM. They give an extract recipe as well so let me know if you need that.
Thanks for typing that up! I don't have the money to purchase BeerSmith...although I might download the demo and poke around...

What's a ggood replacement for Magnum hops...I can't seem to find them locally right now (stupid hops shortage...).
__________________

Brewer for Hoppin' Frog Brewery.
"I am not an alcoholic, I’m a drunk. An alcoholic means that I have a problem and when I drink all my problems go away."

imaguitargod is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2008, 05:56 PM   #8
chefchris
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Gainesville, Florida
Posts: 1,650
Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by imaguitargod View Post
Thanks for typing that up! I don't have the money to purchase BeerSmith...although I might download the demo and poke around...

What's a ggood replacement for Magnum hops...I can't seem to find them locally right now (stupid hops shortage...).
Time to go AG!

I looked up Magnum in BeerSmith but under substitutes is says "N/A".

I'm sure someone else will know a good substitution.
__________________
staygoldBREWING

I think you are confuisng circle k with a reach around. - Denny's Evil Concoctions
chefchris is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2008, 06:21 PM   #9
imaguitargod
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Local Mind Expander of Cleveland, OH
Posts: 1,046
Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefchris View Post
Time to go AG!
HA! God would I love to, but I don't have the money to invest in that ambitious project at the moment...plus I want to get some more experience in on the Partial Mash brewing.
__________________

Brewer for Hoppin' Frog Brewery.
"I am not an alcoholic, I’m a drunk. An alcoholic means that I have a problem and when I drink all my problems go away."

imaguitargod is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2008, 06:24 PM   #10
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Upper Michigan
Posts: 62,831
Liked 4925 Times on 3571 Posts
Likes Given: 992

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefchris View Post
Time to go AG!

I looked up Magnum in BeerSmith but under substitutes is says "N/A".

I'm sure someone else will know a good substitution.
How about Perle, or Nothern Brewer, or Galena?

Those would give you a clean bittering, and have the German characteristics.
__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006

Find me on facebook: Lorena Evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
Yooper is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Chocolate Milk stout recipe (partial mash) Thoughts? Danny_P Recipes/Ingredients 10 02-01-2009 06:49 AM
BrownieBites' Chocolate Oatmeal Stout partial mash recipe bernerbrau Recipes/Ingredients 14 01-28-2009 02:19 PM
Partial Mash recipe for Wheat Stout syd138 Recipes/Ingredients 6 11-30-2008 04:49 PM
extract/partial mash oatmeal stout recipe castillo Recipes/Ingredients 2 05-23-2008 10:43 PM
Bison Brewing Chocolate Stout McKBrew Commercial Brew Discussion 4 03-24-2007 11:47 PM



Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS