Last week to Enter the Spike Brewing 20 Gallon Sight Glass Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Recipe request

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2015, 07:28 PM   #1
Iceman6409
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Default Recipe request

Hey everyone. I truly hate to ask this but I am looking for a very basic recipe. Some of my dumbass friends just will not try home brewed beer so I am deciding to try and make a clone of something light and bland that they are used to in the corporate beer world. Maybe something like a Blue Light, Coors light, Pabst, Cream Ale, etc. All grain recipes please. O know there are a ton of recipes on here but I never see any tasting feedback. No offense at all meant to anyone there, just trying to get some of my friends started in the right direction. Again something very simple would be good to try. Thank you all in advance.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2015, 07:30 PM   #2
TheCADJockey
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 599 Times on 373 Posts
Likes Given: 336

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman6409 View Post
Hey everyone. I truly hate to ask this but I am looking for a very basic recipe. Some of my dumbass friends just will not try home brewed beer so I am deciding to try and make a clone of something light and bland that they are used to in the corporate beer world. Maybe something like a Blue Light, Coors light, Pabst, Cream Ale, etc. All grain recipes please. O know there are a ton of recipes on here but I never see any tasting feedback. No offense at all meant to anyone there, just trying to get some of my friends started in the right direction. Again something very simple would be good to try. Thank you all in advance.
Hey neighbor! Ever consider trying a SMaSH? I did one with Munton's DME and Nugget hops we grew in the garden. It tasted, in my opinion like what you are looking for. That is what I made for a party full of Labatt Blue fiends and they all loved it.

I'll keep an eye out for a more specific recipe but that is the route I would consider.

Old 01-20-2015, 07:34 PM   #3
Iceman6409
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Hey neighbor. I am open to any all grain recipe. However I have never designed my own recipe and have a small concept on how to do it but not really that much overall. Until I get there I am just looking to borrow a recipe

Old 01-20-2015, 07:34 PM   #4
IslandLizard
Progressive Brewing
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 486 Times on 436 Posts
Likes Given: 1472

I'd say your effort is futile. Do not fall in the trap of brewing a light lager. It is frickin' difficult to brew something that tasteless, and they still won't drink it over what comes in a their familiar labeled bottle. It will be too much flavor, too malty, too hoppy, too bitter, too dark, too ... you name it. They know what they like, and so do you (we).

I was in a local Taphouse a few days ago, 33 craft beers on tap that many patrons enjoyed. Yet there were more than a few drinking bottles of BMC swill. And more than one bottle per.

Preparing: Framboise Clone | Arrogant Bastard Clone | Raging Bitch Clone #3 | Tank 7 Saison Clone | Fresh Squeezed IPA | Sours
Fermenting: Kwak 2x
Dry hopping:
Aging: Old Treacle Mine ==> Oud Bruin
On tap: Belgian Wit {1st place @FSH Guild Wheat Beer Comp.} | Pocahontas Pumpkin Ale
Kicked: 2.3'd | ESB | Sketchy Bastard | Black Butte Porter Clone | Raging Bitch Clone #2 | Citra Wheat Saison | Rosemary Wheat Saison | Great Lakes Christmas Ale Clone | Caramel Amber Ale

Old 01-20-2015, 07:35 PM   #5
kh54s10
Recipes 

Liked 742 Times on 628 Posts
Likes Given: 193

I would just brew any good pale ale recipe. Don't tell them what it is, just serve it. I would bet they love it. Then break out something richer, like an amber or brown ale. etc.

I brewed this and it is light and great. http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/s...grain-kit.html

Click the information tab for the recipe and instructions.

Old 01-20-2015, 07:42 PM   #6
YeastMode
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 97 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 20

BierMuncher's Centennial Blond Ale.
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f66/cent...10-gall-42841/

425 pages of people can't be wrong.

People Like This 
Old 01-20-2015, 07:43 PM   #7
TheCADJockey
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 599 Times on 373 Posts
Likes Given: 336

Also make sure to check out and play with brewersfriend.com, you can put in some ingredients that look familiar to you and it will show you what style it matches the most and some stats. It is a great program to play with.

Old 01-20-2015, 07:46 PM   #8
edroberts
WxBrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Brewing a light lager or light ale is much more difficult than it seems. Flaws are amplified much more than in a bigger beer. In reality, it's not a bad idea to brew a small beer to amplify where your process may lack. From a brewing standpoint, the ability for BMC to maintain as much consistency in their product is pretty amazing.

None the less, so long as you are willing to drink it... I certainly wouldn't tell you not to brew it. A cream ale or a Kolsch are not bad styles for a small beer.

Old 01-20-2015, 07:53 PM   #9
dkevinb
Recipes 

Liked 127 Times on 95 Posts
Likes Given: 114

Another recommendation for a blonde ale. They're generally simple and inoffensive. BierMuncher's Centennial is probably top dog around here. IslandLizard makes a good point, though. Most people buy beer with their eyes. One option is to save some Bud Light bottles with the labels intact and bottle a blonde ale in them to see if your friends can even tell the difference.

Here's what I brewed Sunday:

OG = 1.045
ABV = 4.3%
IBU = 21
SRM = 4

Recipe – 5 gal

Fermentables
8 lb 2-row
½ lb Crystal 15L
½ lb Vienna
½ lb Carapils

Hops
1 oz Willamette 4.5% 60 min
½ oz East Kent Goldings 5.0% 20 min

Yeast
1 pkt Safale US-05

Fermenting: ESB, Bee Cave Brewery Haus Pale Ale
Bottled: Lazy Lab Blonde, Rainy Day Irish Red, Huli Pau APA, Moonset APA, Jackalope Amber, Ordinary Bitter, Honey Cider, Simple Cider, Mandarin Orange Mead
Bobcatbrewing42 Likes This 
Old 01-20-2015, 08:15 PM   #10
JF_HBrews
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkevinb View Post
Another recommendation for a blonde ale.
this ^^^, simple pale, cream ale, Kolsch or a wit (plenty of Blue Moon like clones in the recipe section) are all on the lighter side and good options. Make something you will like also as your friends may not drink it no matter how great it is.

Quick Reply