The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Recipe for Kellerbier/Zwickel/Zoigl

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2010, 01:02 AM   #1
Namako
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Recipe for Kellerbier/Zwickel/Zoigl

I recently spent 3 years with the Army in Germany, and I fell in love with the kellerbier "style." It's also called Zwickelbier, Zoigl, or Landbier. The BJCP doesn't recognize the style, hence the quotes.

My favorite was Mahrs Bräu's kellerbier, brewed in the Franconian region (Bamberg) of southern Germany (Bayern) where the style originated. The brewery was pretty hard to find at first, but I can now find it in the dark, or rather, from here I can find my hotel in the dark!!

Anyway, the style is often referred to as an unfiltered Helles or Maertzen, but I think Bavarian brewers would disagree. "Brew Your Own" Magazine provided one recipe back in November 2005, but I'm wondering if anyone has developed something different.

Here's what BYO had:

Kellerbier by the numbers

OG 1.056 (14 °P)
FG 1.014 (3.5 °P)
SRM 10–20 (rarely lighter or darker)
IBU 35
ABV 5–5.5%

Caveman Kellerbier (5 gallons/19 L, all-grain)

OG = 1.056 FG = 1.014
SRM = 15 IBU = 35 ABV = 5.4%

Ingredients

8.0 lbs. (3.6 kg) Weyermann Bavarian Pilsner malt (2 °L)
3.75 lbs. (1.7 kg) Briess Munich malt (20 °L)
2 cups French oak chips (light toast)
8 AAU Hallertauer Mittelfrüh or Hersbrucker hops (bittering) (2 oz./55 g of 4% alpha acid)
1.5 oz. (42 g) Hallertauer Mittelfrüh or Hersbrucker hops (flavor/aroma)

1 pkg. Wyeast 2206 (Bavarian Lager), Wyeast 2308 (Munich Lager), White Labs WLP838 (Southern German Lager), or White Labs WLP920 (Old Bavarian Lager) yeast

Prost!!

Namako

Indecision... may or may not be my problem... I'm not sure

Primary 1 - Koelsch
Primary 2 - Maerzen
Kegged: Maibock
Planned: Kellerbier/Zwickle
Coming Soon: An upgraded Blichmann 20-gallon, Kal-inspired, BCS-controlled, RIMS pico-brewery (by mid-Summer 2013, after the NHC, I swear!!)

ChuckCollins Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2010, 01:09 PM   #2
Oldsock
Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 94 Posts
Likes Given: 63

Looks like a fine recipe, but that is waaaaaaaaaay too much oak (even for something like an imperial stout). I've never tasted oak in the German versions, although I've only had a handful.

Here are some notes on a version someone is my club brews: http://www.babblebelt.com/newboard/t...=7&tpg=1&add=1 its a good beer, pretty similar to the one you posted except that he adds Vienna instead of Munich and uses Spalt.

Check out The Mad Fermentationist for my adventures in fermentation and my book: American Sour Beers!

Old 12-27-2010, 01:16 PM   #3
buckeyebrewer

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Do they not adhere to Reinheitsgebot? They must use something besides oak chips.

-----------------------------------------------------
It's not a beer gut....I'm building a shed over my tool.

Old 12-27-2010, 01:20 PM   #4
Namako

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyebrewer View Post
Do they not adhere to Reinheitsgebot? They must use something besides oak chips.
Yeah, they barrel age in oak barrels.

Namako

Primary 1 - Koelsch
Primary 2 - Maerzen
Coming Soon: An upgraded Blichmann 20-gallon, Kal-inspired, BCS-controlled, RIMS pico-brewery (by mid-Summer 2013, after the NHC, I swear!!)

Old 12-27-2010, 01:22 PM   #5
Oldsock
Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 94 Posts
Likes Given: 63

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyebrewer View Post
I assume the oak chips are to mimic oak barrel aging. I'm not sure how that is treated in Germany, but I assume it is allowed (not that I've heard of a German brewery doing it).

Also the Reinheitsgebot is no longer in effect (per Wikipedia):

In May 1988, a European Court of Justice ruling led to the Reinheitsgebot being lifted, allowing ingredients beyond what is listed in the Biergesetz; this meant that anything allowed in other foods was thus also allowed in beer. The ingredient requirements have since been moved from the Biersteuergesetz into the regular food additives laws, though beer brewed according to the Reinheitsgebot receives special treatment as a protected, "traditional" food.

Check out The Mad Fermentationist for my adventures in fermentation and my book: American Sour Beers!

Old 12-27-2010, 03:28 PM   #6
Simps
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Subscribed. I love keller bier. Please update with what you did and how close it came to the real thing when you're done. Might want to throw mellanoiden malt into the grist unless you plan on decocting.

Old 12-27-2010, 10:22 PM   #7
Namako

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts

Default Recipe for Kellerbier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simps View Post
Subscribed. I love keller bier. Please update with what you did and how close it came to the real thing when you're done. Might want to throw mellanoiden malt into the grist unless you plan on decocting.
Will do!!

I concur with you on the addition of a bit (0.25 to 0.5 lb) of melanoidin malt... I'm not up for those 12-hour brew days! The BYO recipe calls for a 3-step infusion mash (122-148-156, then sparge at 170), so it'll already be a challenge just trying to hit all the numbers! The decoction would help me hit the numbers without actually infusing any additional water, but...

I also don't have access to 20L Munich. My Weyermann Munich II comes in at 12L, so I may also throw in an ounce or two of Carafa Special II (I'll let ProMash tell me how much), just for a bit more color.

I'm making the starter and the oak "tea" this evening, so I'll be brewing this recipe in a couple of days, lest I get some other recipe/process suggestions.

I'll give an evaluation after the brew day's over, and then again in a month or so...

Prost!!

Namako

Primary 1 - Koelsch
Primary 2 - Maerzen

Old 12-29-2010, 03:18 AM   #8
Namako

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts

I just pitched the yeast into a 500 ml starter... didn't realize my vial was so old. It had a Best Use By date of 11-09-2009!! I may have to hold off on brewing until the 31st or 1st..., after I step it up at least once more.

Still haven't pulled the grain bill yet, but I'm close.

I'll swap out the Munich with Vienna, and I'll use Spalter instead of the Mittelfrüh. I'll also add a bit of Carafa Special II just for color and an ounce or two of melanoidin in order to avoid having to do a decoction.

I also queried a couple of brewer's, hoping to get a little insight into the American versions - Harpoon and New Glarus. Not sure if they'll respond with any parameters, but my fingers are crossed!

Prost!!

Namako

Primary 1 - Koelsch
Primary 2 - Maerzen

Old 12-29-2010, 03:20 AM   #9
Namako

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts

... one other thought...

I may try a pinch of CaraAroma/Special B, based on the input from oldsock

Namako

Primary 1 - Koelsch
Primary 2 - Maerzen

Old 12-29-2010, 12:25 PM   #10
smokinghole

Recipes 

Liked 107 Times on 89 Posts
Likes Given: 10

The only Kellerbier I ever had was at my the brewery that opened up where I grew up. I can't speak to actual German versions, but I did not taste oak. Did you actually taste oak in the beer or are you just wanting to add the flavor? It's always been my understanding that a vast majority of the barrels used for beer are lined so the beer does not actually come in contact with the wood. I'm a fan of oaking beers so I say go for it but if you aren't looking for an oak flavor then leave the chips out. Also when I do oak I do like 1-2.5oz of cubes depending on the type of beer. I assume 2 cups worth of chips would be over kill.

Going through life is hard.
Going through life stupid is harder.

Quick Reply