Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Recipe help

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2012, 06:03 PM   #11
Odin_Brews
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Sounds good! If I could buy Columbus I'd brew it. Ive never used pilsner but I think you'll be fine with just the 60 minute boil, I think malt today is good enough that the old 90 minute DMS boil for pilsner is perhaps outdated. Kind of depends on how vigorous the boil is etc but I wouldn't worry.

Dry hop with Colombus, why not! Another ounce or Id say. Or split the batch and dry hop half to compare.

As to the all wheat...you don't mean ALL wheat and no other malts do you? cause if you do then you might need to look up some recipes, wheat doesn't have enough diastatic power to convert itself so it's generally mixed 50-50 with pilsner +/- other minor additions.

That recipe looks good I have to say, it makes me want to fire up an evening brew session, too bad all my fermenters are full until I can manage to bottle this weekend.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2012, 10:15 PM   #12
upstream
Recipes 

I really liked the smell of Columbus and the wort so I think this one will turn out well! The boil was fairly vigorous but it would be interesting to hear from some of the experts if this 90 min boil for the Pilsner malt is no longer needed? At least this is the first I hear of it..

Regarding the all-wheat beer, it has been done and there are no problems with it. The guys from Basic Brewing did an episode about it:

Once I brew the all-wheat beer I will post the results here since this seems to be something that is not that common for some reason.

Old 12-14-2012, 07:18 AM   #13
Odin_Brews
Recipes 

THanks for the link. Interesting stuff. If noone responds directly to the pilsner DMS issue, then Im sure some searching will provide some other info. I can tell you that I brewed a few days with 2 different smaller breweries here in Switzerland making a typical helles lager, pilsner base malt, and they do only a 60 minute boil but I spaced on asking about it.

Old 12-14-2012, 03:18 PM   #14
kingwood-kid
Recipes 

Liked 78 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odin_Brews View Post
As to the all wheat...you don't mean ALL wheat and no other malts do you? cause if you do then you might need to look up some recipes, wheat doesn't have enough diastatic power to convert itself so it's generally mixed 50-50 with pilsner +/- other minor additions.
Malted wheat has greater diastatic power than any other malt, at 180 DP. 6-row is about 160; 2-row 140. All that is taken from Briess' website, but any North American malter will have very similar numbers. I've used malted wheat in small amounts to raise the overall DP of a mash that would've been lacking otherwise. I have another beer that's almost 90% wheat, with no other diastatic malts.

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in the BJCP's philosophy.

Old 12-14-2012, 03:30 PM   #15
Odin_Brews
Recipes 

Ive only got access to Weyermann malts, thought the DP would be roughly the same, they are drasctically different! Actually I confused the numbers as well with weyermann dark wheat which has a diastatic power of 10. I might have to look into the rest of their products seeing as it's all I use. Thanks

Old 12-14-2012, 03:52 PM   #16
kingwood-kid
Recipes 

Liked 78 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Weyermann is not terribly forthcoming about DP. I'm sure their standard wheat malt has several times the DP needed to self-convert, though probably much less than American malts. Definitely will work as a base malt, with a little help from some rice hulls or BIAB.

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in the BJCP's philosophy.

Quick Reply