Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Recipe Feedback - American Brown Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2013, 01:49 AM   #1
RBK
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default Recipe Feedback - American Brown Ale

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated:

http://www.brewtoad.com/recipes/miramar-brown-ale

I want to try an avoid using any hops that have any sort of strong citrus/fruit character...

Was thinking liberty could possible be a viable addition swapped out for some of the Willamette.

~R

IN TANK: New World ESB...
BOTTLE CONDITIONING: American Brown Ale
DRINKING: Turtle Island American IPA, Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout -clone-, Belgian Stout, Baltic Porter

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2013, 02:02 AM   #2
RBK
Recipes 

1.068 OG
1.020 FG
38 IBU
6.2% ABV
21 SRM
0.56 IBU/OG

--

Munich Malt I 1.1 lb 10 %
Crystal 75 12.35 oz 7 %
Wheat Malt (Pale) 8.82 oz 5 %
Chocolate Malt 5.29 oz 3 %
Château Biscuit® 3.53 oz 2 %
Black Rock Light LME (NZ) 7.5 lb 71 %

--

Northern Brewer Germany 0.80 oz 60 min Pellet 10.5%
Willamette United States 0.70 oz 15 min Pellet 4.8%
Willamette United States 0.70 oz 5 min Pellet 4.8%

--

Safale US-05

DRINKING: Turtle Island American IPA, Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout -clone-, Belgian Stout, Baltic Porter

Old 08-12-2013, 02:11 AM   #3
BrewWNC
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 3

My only opinion of your recipe, and purely a personal opinion, is that sometimes a complex grain bill can be too....complex.

Why the wheat and biscuit? Are they necessary? Why not increase the base, chocolate, caramel, and/or munich a little more?

Old 08-12-2013, 02:25 AM   #4
RBK
Recipes 

Noted.

I think I sometimes make my recipes more complex than necessary.

Old 08-12-2013, 07:59 AM   #5
Brewmex41
Recipes 

Liked 94 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBK View Post
Noted.

I think I sometimes make my recipes more complex than necessary.
I think a lot of us do.
Let us know your final recipe and your taste test. I think American brown ales are highly underrated.

Old 08-12-2013, 12:47 PM   #6
tagz
Recipes 

Liked 111 Times on 87 Posts
Likes Given: 14

I'd keep the biscuit, it will add a layer of graham cracker-like flavor that will support the chocolate and crystal. I think your percentages look good as well. a lot of brown ale recipes i look at go overboard on the chocolate, which can get dry/bitter. Your recipe actually looks fairly similar to jamil's American brown, except he uses carapils for body/head retention rather than wheat.

The only thing I would change is the OG, but that's just personal preference. I would shoot for 1.055-1.060 to make it a little more sessionable. If your looking to follow the bjcp guidelines, they range from 1.040-1.060 for American brown ales.

Old 08-12-2013, 11:07 PM   #7
RBK
Recipes 

Cheers guys.

What do you think about the hop additions?

Would it be worth adding another flavouring hop... Liberty possibly?

Or should I just stick to Willamette?

Old 08-13-2013, 01:40 AM   #8
Malticulous
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 62

Moose Drool uses some Liberty late. I've used it or Vanguard with Willamette in most of my American Browns with great results.

Old 08-13-2013, 05:09 AM   #9
signpost
Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 443

+1 for keeping the Biscuit malt. I've liked it when I've used it and think it would work really well in a brown ale. It'll give some depth to support the flavors from the chocolate and crystal malts.

Same goes for the Liberty hops. I've used them a couple times, but only in Belgian styles. Regardless, I've liked them and think they'd be good in a brown ale. I haven't actually used Willamette, so I don't know if they'd work well together. The Liberty will give an earthiness to the beer, which I think fits the style of a brown ale.

The wheat probably isn't necessary, though. If you brewed 2 batches with the only difference being that one had the wheat and the other didn't, I bet you wouldn't be able to tell the difference. Now, if you want the wheat to be noticeable, you'd probably have to increase the amount. With the crystal, munich, and biscuit malts, you shouldn't have any problem with body or mouth feel that would require using the wheat.

Side note: I'm guessing you started from metric measurements for the ingredients, because some of the amounts seem strangely specific when listed in pounds and ounces. If they come out to simple round numbers when measure in metric, that's great. That was just one element that made me immediately think the recipe was more complicated upon first glance. When I realized that you probably started from metric, and I paid attention to the percentages and other aspects, the recipe doesn't seem too terribly complicated.

I think if you cut out the wheat, you have a relatively streamlined recipe. And it should turn out pretty well.

Bottled - a sour mashed Berliner Weisse; Cascade Pale Ale; Hop Wine - an Imperial India Pilsner Ale; Guajillo Ancho Brown Ale; Back To School Porter, an Imperial Robust Porter with vanilla beans added

Old 08-31-2013, 02:43 AM   #10
RBK
Recipes 

Hey Guys...

Cheers for help/feedback. Just bottled this and tasting rather nice... FG of 1.019 - as estimated by the brew calculator - and reading at bottling, so bang on there...

Some thoughts... a lil hop dominated for my preference in this style...

I think I would consider dropping the amount of bittering hops... Brew toad estimated that I was getting 24 IBU from the bittering addition. So I would drop that back to somewhere in high teens.

I think I would also add EKG to the mix as a forst wort addition... but decrease the amounts of Liberty and EKG.

I would also consider increasing the amount of med crystal... or adding a small amount of dark crystal.../ a very slight increase of the chocolate malt...

Cheers!

~R

Quick Reply