Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Recipe Discussion : Helles from Brouwerij Boerderij Kabouter

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2009, 02:22 PM   #21
Boerderij_Kabouter
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 119 Times on 103 Posts
Likes Given: 11

OK. I am doing a Hochkurz mash. Re-watching Kaisers videos and some more reading has me thinking it is the best way to go for our highly modified malts.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2009, 03:39 PM   #22
menschmaschine
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 26 Posts

I brewed a similar (to your recipe) Helles on Saturday using a Hochkurz mash (added an acid rest just to see if there was any positive difference). I've also been step-mashing my German light lagers recently because after many decoctions, I tried a step-mash on a German Pils and it is malty as all get-out and the color is a little brighter. And my attenuation was slightly better (FG = 1.011 instead of 1.012-1.013), but that may have been from a better pitching rate with W34/70 than what I used to do with WLP830.

END TRANSMISSION

Old 06-26-2009, 11:23 AM   #23
Boerderij_Kabouter

Recipes 

S.G. = 1.020 as of last night, so I raised the temp to 63º for two days. Then It is time for a ramp down!

Old 09-21-2009, 06:18 PM   #24
Boerderij_Kabouter

Recipes 

This turned out nice, but it is too light to be a Helles. I am calling a blonde lager because that is what it is.

Old 09-22-2009, 12:39 AM   #25
menschmaschine
Recipes 

Glad it turned out well. What do you mean by too light?... color?

END TRANSMISSION

Old 09-22-2009, 02:49 PM   #26
Boerderij_Kabouter

Recipes 

Well, I suppose the color would be in range but on the very lightest end. Gravity was too low because I made the stupid mistake of not boiling down to my target volume... doh! It was a 14 hour brewday though so I cut myself some slack. I ended up at 1.042 instead of 1.048.

Then, I pitched my dry yeast unhydrated and I think that screwed it up a bit. It is to fruity and not malty enough to be a good Helles IMO. It is however, a rather good blonde lager.

Old 09-22-2009, 04:14 PM   #27
menschmaschine
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boerderij_Kabouter View Post
Well, I suppose the color would be in range but on the very lightest end. Gravity was too low because I made the stupid mistake of not boiling down to my target volume... doh! It was a 14 hour brewday though so I cut myself some slack. I ended up at 1.042 instead of 1.048.

Then, I pitched my dry yeast unhydrated and I think that screwed it up a bit. It is to fruity and not malty enough to be a good Helles IMO. It is however, a rather good blonde lager.
Bummer. There's always next time and it's still good beer.

I think the BJCP guidelines are a bit off on the color of a Helles. The 3-5 SRM range is slightly high. Maybe 2-4 or 2-5 SRM would be better. If one brews a Helles with just German Pilsener malt (which I've seen with a °L as low as 1.8) and Cara-pils, you can definitely get under 3 SRM in the final beer even with a 90 min. boil... and it's still a Helles.

END TRANSMISSION

Old 09-23-2009, 12:56 PM   #28
Bob
Recipes 

Liked 127 Times on 95 Posts
Likes Given: 36

How's the foam retention? I was worried you'd lack that because of the extended rest at 140F. (I don't advise "protein rests" longer than 15 minutes, 20 tops; more than that, in my experience, degrades too much protein and negatively impacts foam.)

Bob

Brewmaster
Fort Christian Brewpub
St Croix, US Virgin Islands

Old 09-23-2009, 01:36 PM   #29
Boerderij_Kabouter

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NQ3X View Post
How's the foam retention? I was worried you'd lack that because of the extended rest at 140F. (I don't advise "protein rests" longer than 15 minutes, 20 tops; more than that, in my experience, degrades too much protein and negatively impacts foam.)

Bob
I'll take some pictures tonight. I was under the impression that the elevated protein/sacc rest avoided many of the problems of the extended 120 protein rest???

I used an enhanced decoction on a recent beer and really liked that profile. Basically I took a huge decoction while the main mash was in the acid rest range, added a small amount of the decoction back to get a protein rest at 120. Let it rest for 10 minutes, then added more decoction back in to reach my sacc rest temp. It worked awesome and was really easy to control.

Old 09-23-2009, 03:28 PM   #30
Bob
Recipes 

Liked 127 Times on 95 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Perhaps the elevated rest does have that function. I've never used your method, personally. It's interesting to get first-hand accounts of any possible impact.

Bob

Brewmaster
Fort Christian Brewpub
St Croix, US Virgin Islands

Quick Reply