Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > recipe design discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2007, 02:01 PM   #1
Brewpastor
Beer, not rocket science
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 26 Posts

Default recipe design discussion

I am thinking it might be useful to have a design discussion tied into the various styles in the recipe database. I am thinking a sticky related to each style that would discuss the style and particulars related to designing beers in that style.

I think it would be great to help people move away from simply brewing other people's recipes and onto understanding what makes particular recipes stand out.

If others agree I will lead the charge and start at the top of the recipe data base and plow down. But first I want to hear what others think and what information would be seen as helpful towards this effort. For example, my recipes tend to be all-grain and yet many extract brewers are out there, so the cross over will be important.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2007, 02:09 PM   #2
Dude
Will work for beer

Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewpastor
I am thinking it might be useful to have a design discussion tied into the various styles in the recipe database. I am thinking a sticky related to each style that would discuss the style and particulars related to designing beers in that style.

I think it would be great to help people move away from simply brewing other people's recipes and onto understanding what makes particular recipes stand out.

If others agree I will lead the charge and start at the top of the recipe data base and plow down. But first I want to hear what others think and what information would be seen as helpful towards this effort. For example, my recipes tend to be all-grain and yet many extract brewers are out there, so the cross over will be important.
Are you planning on quoting BJCP guidelines/info?

Good idea.
Up Next: Smoked Porter -- Pub Ale -- Watermelon Wheat
Planning:
Gone But Not Forgotten:

www.IronOrrBrewery.com

Old 02-22-2007, 02:11 PM   #3
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd

Recipes 

Liked 373 Times on 308 Posts
Likes Given: 98

I like this idea, too. I'd recommend anyone starting to design their own get a copy of Designing Great Beers, which is phenomenal, I think, in this regard. With that said, there are a lot of styles that aren't covered, and there is always room for further discussion.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 02-22-2007, 02:14 PM   #4
RichBrewer

Recipes 

Liked 83 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 67

think this is a great idea. Often, I just wing it when designing recipes. I'd love to know more about what makes great beers.

Cheers,
Rich

Old 02-22-2007, 02:16 PM   #5
cweston

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

I like the idea--there's a lot of collective experience here in brewing various styles.

Speaking of recipe design, Brewpastor, I notice that you mix base grains in a lot of your recipes (like e.g. 1/2 two-row, half pilsen). What's the strategy on that? I brewed your Bastard Lager (which uses that strategy) this fall and it was great, BTW.

Primary: none
Secondary:
Bottle conditioning: Robust Porter
Drinking: Saison Dupont clone, tripel
Coming soon: Columbus APA, Rich Red ale

Old 02-22-2007, 02:18 PM   #6
Brewpastor
Beer, not rocket science

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude
Are you planning on quoting BJCP guidelines/info?

Good idea.
I think that is a good starting place. Also the material around ingredients from dESIGNING gREAT bEERS WOULD BE USEFUL, ESPECIALLY IN SHOWING THE CORE INGREDIENTS IN A STYLE AND THE POSSIBLE VARIANTS IN THE SAME. (Sorry for all the caps. I am not shouting, I just hit the wrong key).

Old 02-22-2007, 02:21 PM   #7
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd

Recipes 

Liked 373 Times on 308 Posts
Likes Given: 98

BJCP guidelines are here, BTW:

http://www.bjcp.org/stylecenter.html

Downloaded them the other day so that I could speak more intelligently regarding adherence to style in the beer swap judging. Not that this is the most important issue at all, but it's something to be considered...

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 02-22-2007, 02:30 PM   #8
Glibbidy

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default A fabulous idea!

Tom, Having designed my own beers for the past seven years I'd be happy to provide you some assistance with this. I think the members, and visitors could stand to benefit from something useful that works in regards to recipes that have been tried and proven.
I can't imagine just grabbing any old recipe off the internet and running with it, without fully understanding the recipes components in relation the the brewing style.

Old 02-22-2007, 02:39 PM   #9
Brewpastor
Beer, not rocket science

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glibbidy
Tom, Having designed my own beers for the past seven years I'd be happy to provide you some assistance with this. I think the members, and visitors could stand to benefit from something useful that works in regards to recipes that have been tried and proven.
I can't imagine just grabbing any old recipe off the internet and running with it, without fully understanding the recipes components in relation the the brewing style.
Exactly. Now what are the basics we should cover?

Old 02-22-2007, 03:04 PM   #10
Glibbidy

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default the basics

We should probably start out with base malts, and then move forward from there.

Discussing the merits of using domestic (depending on where you live), and imported malts, and how they can affect the final product.
For instance: blending malts....

Using a combo if domestic pilsner (North American) with German Pilsner to create a crisp clean lager. Choice of raw materials can contribute to natural flaws in beers (unbeknownst to most brewers)
I.E. the husky/grainy phenol present in some North american Malts that jsut isn't there in European malts. If this is too deep stop me now, and I'll migrate the disussion to more basic concepts, like which base malts to use in regards to styles, and which specialty grains fall into specific styles....

Quick Reply