Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Recipe critique: Complex Baltic Porter

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2008, 08:12 PM   #1
nl724
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Recipe critique: Complex Baltic Porter

I am looking to make a robust/baltic porter. I don't want chocolate to dominate the flavor. I would like it to be toasty, roasty, creamy, smooth, and semi-sweet. I would also like to add hints of molasses, but I am not sure on the quantity. Here is what I have so far:

Batch size: 5 gal

8# 2 Row
1# Munich
8oz Crystal 60
8oz Crystal 90
8oz Flaked Barley
6oz Biscuit
6oz Chocolate
3oz Roasted Barley
2oz Crystal 120
2oz Special B

1/4 cup? molasses

Also I am not set on a hopping schedule either...any suggestion would be appreciated. I am not going for a hoppy tasting hoppy smelling beer.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2008, 09:13 PM   #2
nl724
Recipes 

must be a bad recipe or no one likes porters...

Old 03-13-2008, 09:25 PM   #3
kaptain_karma

Recipes 

Your recipe seems a bit overly complex. I'd pick one type of crystal and stick with that. I'd also up the chocolate malt a bit, especially since you have very little roast barley and no black patent. I've never really used molasses, so I can't speak to that, but I'd reccommend leaving it out until you brew a simple recipe you like. Once you have a simple base recipe you know works, you can start adding other ingredients. As far as hops, I use simcoe (bittering) and perle (flavor and aroma). The simcoe bitterness really blends well with the roasty flavors and balances maltiness without being overpowering.

Old 03-13-2008, 10:26 PM   #4
Jayfro21
Recipes 

Another suggestion for keeping it simple. Maybe 80% 2-row with some 10% chocolate and 5-7% crystal (only one type, maybe mid-range 60-80), and 2-3% black patent. I think that roast barley should be saved for stouts, and special b might not be what you are looking for in a porter. It is more of a raisiny flavor, and is amazing in Belgians. For hops, I have heard Galena is great with only a 60 min bittering addition to achieve the IBUs you want. The biscuit and munich will give it a little more maltiness, but it might be overshadowed by all the roasted grains, anyways. Just my .02

Jason

Primary 1: ESB
Primary 2: Empty
Secondary 1: Empty
Secondary 2: Empty
Secondary 3: Empty
Bottled: Nothing!
Up next: Common ESB, porter, probably some Belgian

Old 03-13-2008, 10:28 PM   #5
Jayfro21
Recipes 

sorry missed the hoppy tasting hoppy smelling beer part...I would still bitter with somethign like galena or another high AA hop. You could then flavor and/or aroma with something like Fuggles or EKG, if you can find them. Still, roasty grains will overpower a good amount of the hop flavor, so don't waste hard to find and/or expensive hops in a porter

Jason

Primary 1: ESB
Primary 2: Empty
Secondary 1: Empty
Secondary 2: Empty
Secondary 3: Empty
Bottled: Nothing!
Up next: Common ESB, porter, probably some Belgian

Old 03-14-2008, 12:31 AM   #6
nl724
Recipes 

Thanks for the help so far guys...I appreciate it, and any more comments are DEFINITELY welcome!

Old 03-14-2008, 12:53 AM   #7
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 359 Times on 296 Posts
Likes Given: 95

Drop the mollasses, bump the Special B to a half-pound. Actually, I would probably cut out about half the speciality malts; there's a fine line between complex and muddy. Special B will add some real nice, complex, dark-fruity notes that should be nice. It might be a little bit light in terms of the total roasted grains.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 03-14-2008, 01:06 PM   #8
nl724
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bird
Drop the mollasses, bump the Special B to a half-pound. Actually, I would probably cut out about half the speciality malts; there's a fine line between complex and muddy. Special B will add some real nice, complex, dark-fruity notes that should be nice. It might be a little bit light in terms of the total roasted grains.
Will adding too much Special B overpower the roasted smoothness?

Old 03-14-2008, 01:22 PM   #9
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 359 Times on 296 Posts
Likes Given: 95

Special B will give it a dark, fruity complexity; raisens, plums, those kinds of flavors. A dark, kinda bittersweet maltiness. It's potent, you don't need much more than a half-pound. It should be pretty complementary to the roast flavors.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 03-14-2008, 01:33 PM   #10
CBBaron

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

I'm with the_bird. Up the Special_B and Chocolate (or use some Black Patent), drop the crystal_120 (special_B is a dark crystal) and one of the medium crystals (they are pretty similar any ways). Just using a bittering addition is fine for a good stout or porter so thats a reasonable plan. Your original didn't look like it had enough roasted malts to be a porter.

Craig

Quick Reply