Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Recipe Critique - Bold American Stout

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2013, 10:02 PM   #11
PtreeCreekBrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I was going for something like Great Lakes' Edmund Fitzgerald, only bigger.

I'm going for ~6% ABV (~1.062 OG given my yeast and fermentation profile...yes, I know the 1056 attenuates slightly better but I find I really like the flavor profile of the 1028 at ~65 deg).

I wanted something with a mouthfeel just shy of a Dry Irish, bold roast and coffee flavors, and enough hops to move it clearly away from the British/Irish stouts (as if 6% ABV didn't already do that...).

Thanks for all the comments so far....

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2013, 10:10 PM   #12
kingwood-kid
Recipes 

Liked 86 Times on 79 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Two ideas. One, use 1028 to brew http://barclayperkins.blogspot.com/2...4-courage.html Granted, it's just over 10%, but it's awesome. Just awesome. Two, you could just brew a typical Dry Irish and adjust the base malt and IBUs to meet your desires. A higher OG will give you more residual sugars, even if you don't add any crystal. Adding a few ounces of dark crystal/Special B would certainly bring some tasty flavor complexity.

Say no to intolerance: love gluten and lactose.

Old 02-05-2013, 10:20 PM   #13
PtreeCreekBrew
Recipes 

Man, that's a big stout. I'll barely be able to make 10 gal of that once I finish my 15 gal system!

Not a bad idea on the modified DIS. I have a DIS recipe that I make every year (actually just kegged it a few days ago) that I like a lot...I could definitely boost it up a bit and change the hop profile.

Old 02-06-2013, 05:11 PM   #14
skibb
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Quote:
Hops:
47.3 IBUs as written...right in the middle of the BJCP guidelines for Am Stout...

More on the flavor/aroma adds?
If you were shooting to brew to style, and submit it to a competition, it would be beneficial to up the late/finishing hops - typically, with more American/citrus varieties. IBUs aren't really hops and hoppy beers aren't necessarily bitter beers.

But if you are brewing to taste, do what you want! I'm just letting you know that when you put 'American' in front of a stout it denotes the beer having a more than noticeable hop presence (at least if you want to score well).

Quick Reply