Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Recipe for a 4-way split

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2012, 05:31 PM   #1
ClarnoBrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Recipe for a 4-way split

A few friends and I will be brewing a 25g batch and splitting it 4 ways. Each batch will have a different yeast. Belgian, Lager, and 2 with ale yeast.

I'm hoping to come up with a base grain bill that will suit this. I'm thinking something simple like:
Pale malt: 90%
Crystal 40: 5%
Dextrapils: 5%

I also have some Carabelge, which might be interesting to use. Any thoughts on little tweaks that might suit most of these styles?

This is just a chance to play and experiment. I do realize that we won't end up with the perfect belgian or IPA. So no worries there.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2012, 02:51 PM   #2
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 1014 Times on 713 Posts
Likes Given: 2100

I think keeping it basic will help you identify how the different yeasts impact the final beer. I'd stay with what you've got there. Keep the hops moderate, too. I'm assuming the lager yeast will be fermented at lager temps and then lagered?

Have fun with your experiment!

Old 01-22-2012, 06:29 PM   #3
ClarnoBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappers_ View Post
I think keeping it basic will help you identify how the different yeasts impact the final beer. I'd stay with what you've got there. Keep the hops moderate, too. I'm assuming the lager yeast will be fermented at lager temps and then lagered?

Have fun with your experiment!
Thanks, Pappers. That tends to be my base for almost everything I brew, so it seems pretty safe.

The lager will be properly fermented and lagered.

This is mainly a project that a friend wants to do. It just happens that I have the 25g system. And I like to encourage any sort of experimenting. It'll be a fun day, working with a few other guys that are new-ish to brewing.

Quick Reply