Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Real hazelnuts in a nutbrown ale?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2009, 07:37 PM   #1
cimirie
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Real hazelnuts in a nutbrown ale?

So, on deck for me to brew is a hazelnut brown. I've found countless recipes and all seem pretty tasty. They also all have one thing in common: hazelnut extract. I can't seem to find any that use real hazelnuts. Are they not to be used in a recipe?

If anybody has used them, can you let me in on quantity and timing (do i add them to the mash or place them in primary). Thanks a bundle!

-----------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuporMan View Post
You guys joke around with this all you want, but let me tell you something: I tried making my own beer one time and wound up with herpes!

Primary: Billy Corrigan Ale, malted cider experiment, Optimator clone
Secondary: Sorachi Ace IPA
Bottled: Dark Lord Clone Imperial Stout, Winter 2010 Spiced Ale Ambassador Brown Ale, Michigan Berry pLambic
Kegged: Old Woodward ESB, Strawberry Blonde
On Deck: Honey brown ale, dry stout

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2009, 07:46 PM   #2
heinz57
Recipes 

I've never used them in a beer, but I think people go with the extract for two reasons. The first is that a tiny bottle dropper is pretty hard to screw up. The second, is that taking a pint of the finished beer, sans hazelnut, and using the drop and taste method is a lot easier than adding all the hazelnut at one time and hoping for the best.

I realize that the purpose of your post is to determine what quantity of hazelnuts would produce a suitable hazelnut flavor, but I've got nothing in that department. My only recommendation is to steer clear of the flavor in Leinenkugel's nut brown. Whoa boy was that a wake up call.

Old 02-11-2009, 07:55 PM   #3
KingBrianI
Recipes 

Liked 77 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 7

You could toast some hazelnuts, crush them and then put them in a mason jar. Cover them with vodka and seal it up. Give it a shake when you think about it. Do that for a month or two. Then filter the nuts out and the remaining liquid will taste strongly of hazelnuts and can be added to taste to your bottling bucket or keg.

I made a walnut liquer in the same way, using 1 cup of walnuts, 1 cup of vodka and 0.5 cups of brandy. It tasted awesome but I drink it by itself, not added to beer.

I'm too lazy and have too many beers going to keep updating this!

Old 02-11-2009, 07:55 PM   #4
ShortSnoutBrewing
Kwanesum Chinook Illahee
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts

I've done a Rogue Hazelnut Brown clone and used Hazelnut extract from Brewcraft. Extract is added at bottling/kegging. This stuff goes a long way so be careful how much you use. You can always add more, but not take any away. It was a 2 oz bottle that said to add all 2 oz. I didn't, but added about 1 oz and it was honestly too much. I say .25 or so should do good, but use the method Heinz mentions to get it to where you want.

Old 02-11-2009, 08:24 PM   #5
cimirie
Recipes 

Thanks gang. It sounds like using an extract is almost inevitable. Have you ever heard of somebody using real hazelnuts or am I crazy to think than anybody has every done it?

Quote:
You guys joke around with this all you want, but let me tell you something: I tried making my own beer one time and wound up with herpes!

Bottled: Dark Lord Clone Imperial Stout, Winter 2010 Spiced Ale Ambassador Brown Ale, Michigan Berry pLambic

Old 02-11-2009, 08:33 PM   #6
wendelgee2
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I don't have any experience with it, but Jamil on the Jamil show said it was a terrible idea because of the fats. The "nut" flavor in the nut brown should be from properly chosen malts, not actual nuts.

A) They can leave a slick of oil on your beer (though I'd think you'd have to use an awful lot to get that much oil out of them) B) they'd harm head retention or formation c) as they oxidize they can go rancid, which is not yummy.

Old 02-11-2009, 08:33 PM   #7
TexasStu
Recipes 

I can't answer that but I believe extract 'brewing' is a hobby in itself. Imagine making all of your own extracts for use as adjuncts. I'm starting some myself.

Owner/Operator of Stupour Brewing

Primary 1: Empty
Primary 2: Coopers Australian Pale Ale
Secondary Keg (room temp.):
Kegged:
Bottled: AHS Blue Moon Belgian White
On Deck: "Cascading Coopers Pale Ale"
& All-In! Winner's Choice Pale Ale.
2009 Total gallons = 53

Old 02-12-2009, 12:58 AM   #8
cimirie
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendelgee2 View Post
I don't have any experience with it, but Jamil on the Jamil show said it was a terrible idea because of the fats. The "nut" flavor in the nut brown should be from properly chosen malts, not actual nuts.
I feel slightly silly. It never even crossed my mind that the nut character came from malts. I always just assumed it was real hazelnut flavor. I'm a dork. Thanks!

Quote:

Old 11-19-2009, 06:05 PM   #9
TheGerman
Recipes 

I actually am in the same boat, well, kind of..... it is a secret ale that will involve hazelnuts, that's all I can say as of now
Here are a couple of links I have found with people using real hazelnuts. I do know about the oils and the head retention, but you have to try everything yourself, right?
Here they are:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f67/natu...wn-ale-105240/
http://beerrecipes.org/showrecipe.php?recipeid=1127

Primary: Garfunkel Dunkel, Wild Hopped Red
Secondary: empty
Kegged: empty
Planning: "warming" nut brown, schwarzbier, kellerbier

Quick Reply