Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Raw wheat!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2009, 06:33 PM   #1
claphamsa
Professional Jezter PWNZR
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Raw wheat!

Ok, making a 65 G lambic, well need 30 lbs of raw wheat, so im ordering a 55lb bag! the thing is, raw wheat is SUPER hard, and we dont wanna mess up our equipment grinding it down, so were gonna get it premilled! is there any way to store 25 lbs of milled wheat for a year? vacuum sealed maybe? thanks for any ideas!

I collect magnetic bottle openers... so if you see something nice......

claphamsa on untappd

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2009, 07:30 PM   #2
mkling
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Better find out how they're milling it. For many places, when they mill it, they are making flour.

Recently Kicked Kegs: Fresh Hop Pale Ale, Citra Rye IPA
On Deck: Old Rasputin, Northstar IPA, Ur-bock Dunkel

Old 09-14-2009, 07:34 PM   #3
Tonedef131
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 3

The soft white winter wheat I get from our local hippie grocery for my lambics and wits I have to mill 3 times. If they are milling it for you be aware that you might have to run it through your own mill another time or two before you are happy with your crush. If they are charging you to mill it I wouldn't bother, I have ran more than 30 pounds through my Monster Mill and it didn't even flinch. I did have to put some extra tension on the belt to keep it from slipping, but it didn't do any damage to the mill.

Old 09-14-2009, 07:59 PM   #4
TXCrash
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2713 Times on 2685 Posts
Likes Given: 113

Get 30# milled - store 25# unmilled and figure it out in a year or sell the 25# (milled or not) at cost to another brewer (CL would do wonders here I'm sure...)

Are you just bored and wanted something, anything to type?-IrregularPulse

I will just push my son to have kids at 15. Then I will see the grandkids longer.-AMonkey
IP's wife's boobs weigh more than my wife.-Randar
My wife has the coordination of a drunk two legged spider.-Zuljin

Old 09-14-2009, 08:16 PM   #5
Ryan_PA
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

We are getting it from North Country Malt, I am assuming their milling should be adequate. The reason we are looking to get it milled is the pilot/starter batch I did, really proved that milling raw wheat is a tough nut to bust. I only used 3 pounds, and it taxed my drill. I cannot imagine this with 35 Lbs. It would burn out the motor for sure. I think the question is, would we notice a significant degradation of product if we vacuum seal and freeze some crushed raw wheat for a year?

Old 09-14-2009, 09:19 PM   #6
Tonedef131
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan_PA View Post
I think the question is, would we notice a significant degradation of product if we vacuum seal and freeze some crushed raw wheat for a year?
I doubt it, I have used flour that is over a year old in cooking before and it was fine. Air, moisture and bugs are really the only thing that could hurt it...so if you vacuum seal it and keep it cool it should be fine next year.

And since you are using a drill it probably is a good idea to get it premilled. You still might want to run it through again, because raw wheat isn't all fluffy like barley malt. But even if you do, having it initially cracked would make it a hell of a lot easier on you and your drill.

Quick Reply