I attempted a rauchbier back in Sept. using 2lbs smoked malt for a 6 gallon batch. It was not as intense as I wanted so I went all out and brewed another last night.
10lbs German Smoked
1lbs Dark Munich
8oz Dark German crystal
8oz Light German crystal
.4oz Nugget Boil 13.8%
1oz Hallertauer 15 minutes
Bavarian lager yeast
Mashed in 1qt/lb at 94 degrees 15 minutes
Heated to 122 degrees 15 minutes
Added .5qt/lb boiling water, raised to 144 degrees 15 minutes
Heated to 156 degrees for 45 minutes
Heated to mash out at 168 degrees
I tried using a high alpha boiling hop to reduce the trub in the kettle, it worked like a charm. The hot break settled in 15 minutes and consisted of a small cluster in the center. Lost volume due to the trub was about a pint. Took a sample for gravity, 1.075. That was the biggest surprise since I was shooting for 1.064. I usually obtain a 75% efficiency, but never 87%. Time will tell how well the final product is.