Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Raspberry Wheat - first attempt with fruit

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2010, 09:03 PM   #1
StarCityBrewMaster
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Raspberry Wheat - first attempt with fruit

Opinions please!

My wife is 7 months pregnant and hasn't had a sip of alcohol in that time period (ok maybe a sip here and there when I force her to try something I made) and won't have a sip for the next couple months as well obviously.

I am considering brewing up a Raspberry Wheat for when she can finally enjoy an alcoholic beverage with me again as a "welcome back" present. She's mostly a BMC drinker but can stray away from "three's company" as long as it's not too intense.

Here is what I've formulated:

Batch Size: 5.5 gal
Yeast: Safale 05
IBU: 20.2
SRM: 4.3
Exp OG: 1.050
Exp FG: 1.014
ABV: 4.6%

Grain bill:
6.5 lbs Wheat Malt (German)
2.5 lbs Pale Malt 2 row
1 lb Wheat Flaked
.5 lb Munich

Hops:
1/2 oz Centennial 60min [16.9]
1/2 oz Centennial 5min [3.4]

Mash for 60mins @ 150 & sparge as normal

I plan on adding anywhere from 36-48 oz of frozen raspberries (thawed) to the secondary for 7 days before transferring off for bottling.

Other than Raspberry flavor, what will this addition add to the beer if anything?

Secondary 1: Air
Secondary 2: Air

Bottled: Edworts IPA, Nierra Sevada, Stork Blue Celebration Ale
On Deck: Maroon Effect Amber, Blonde, IPA, APA

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2010, 09:16 PM   #2
pompeiisneaks
Why that human mask?
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 2

some fruits can add a bit more sourness than you'd expect... you may want to mash a little warmer to get a bit more maltiness to balance that... i.e. 154 range makes it maltier, down int he 140s gives you a drier more fermentable end product, but that's about the only tweak I could think of. Otherwise it looks great. Also, for those that don't like the more flavorful beers you should try a simple beer like a bitters or a golden ale for her... bet she'll like one of those.

Fermenting/Kegged/Bottled NONE :( I moved to the NW and haven't had time to setup my brew rig since! (but hey, I'm in the Pacific NW so there's so much awesome beer I don't need to brew it as much hah!

Old 12-27-2010, 09:24 PM   #3
StarCityBrewMaster
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Thank pompeii - I am actually torn between a blonde ale and this raspberry wheat. The blonde is cheaper, easier, and closer to what she already drinks but I thought the Raspberry would be going the extra mile but at the same time could turn out hard to drink.

I was actually going for a drier finish with the low temp without knowing the raspberries can make it sour. If I do brew this I will now go with a 154 mash or maybe even 156.

Secondary 1: Air
Secondary 2: Air

Bottled: Edworts IPA, Nierra Sevada, Stork Blue Celebration Ale
On Deck: Maroon Effect Amber, Blonde, IPA, APA

Quick Reply