Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Raspberry Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2010, 04:12 AM   #31
asphalt788
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Failed Attempt

I attempted to make this brew and it did not work. I used all of the ingredients that Steve listed. After boiling the wort and letting it cool I transferred all of the mush over. I knew then that something wasn't right. I tried to strain it but nothing worked. So I let it all sit in the primary for 2 weeks. Then when I boiled y raspberries and opened the primary it was still all mush. There was mabey a gallon or two of actual liquid. So i transferred about 2 gallons of liquid and about 1 gallon of the mush over. I added 2 gallons of water and let it sit. Was I supposed to somehow strain out the rice solids? Any help would be appreciated.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2010, 08:19 AM   #32
SteveM
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 90

It's hard to say what went wrong. Rice solids should have simply become part of the wort, and fermented up with the malt extract. What kind of rice solid did you use?

Note also that the fruit only gets added at the second stage, two weeks after brewing the basic beer.

One thing - the raspberries should NOT be boiled - this will create problems. They should not have been heated above 160F or so. I think, from reading your post, that maybe you rushed things a bit. This paragraph comes from the middle of the recipe discussion:

Quote:
I give the basic brew a week or two in the fermenter, then rack to a secondary and add my fruit. I pasteurize the fruit by putting it into a pot with enough water to cover the fruit and bringing it to about 160F for ten or fifteen minutes. Stir it to keep it from scorching. Then it all goes into the secondary. I use a sanitized wide mouthed funnel to pour this "fruit slurry" (even without boiling it will become semi-mush) into the secondary.
Is it possible that you added the fruit into the primary?

Black Diamond Brewery

Think global, drink local.

Old 03-04-2010, 01:38 AM   #33
asphalt788
Recipes 

I added the fruit to the secondary. But the problem started in the primary. My wort was the consistency of a thin oatmeal. Then it just never seemed to settle out. I just used 3lbs of generic flaked rice. Was I somehow supposed to get rid of the flaked rice before I put it into the primary?

Old 03-04-2010, 01:45 AM   #34
SteveM
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Rice solids are sold in home brew shops - I'm not sure, but it sounds like you bought rice flakes from a grocery store? These would probably not be suitable. Rice solids are a dry powder, resembling a white DME. I'm not sure that flaked rice is the same thing or an acceptable substitute.

Black Diamond Brewery

Old 07-23-2010, 10:06 PM   #35
buckeyebeer
Recipes 

Default Raspberry Ale

I Brewed this recipe in June of 09 I waited til labor day to try it - disapointed, Thanksgiving - disapointed - dry little soapy, chritsmas - still dry getting better, Easter this year - better but on the dry side. cracked one open - Much better - I figured it will be exquisete by Christmas.

Pinkish with a nice head - I'll post a pic next one I open

My son and I are doing another batch next Saturday

Old 07-24-2010, 12:12 AM   #36
SteveM
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Wow - that's real patience - my hat's off. I never had that kind of issue with it, and I can't imagine why it turned out that way.

Black Diamond Brewery

Old 07-24-2010, 04:25 PM   #37
buckeyebeer
Recipes 

It originally tasted like a dry wine - I would drinkg it over ice, in the recipe you said that thre might be a problem with head retention - no problem there, from the firxt bottle it allways had a nice head..

Old 11-14-2010, 02:59 AM   #38
evo
Recipes 

Default recipe

This is actually my first brew (hence the 2.5 gallon batch size). I was going to follow the recipe but decided to try something a little different along the lines. Following are the ingredients I used:

3lb Multon Amber DME
1lb Flaked rice
1oz Citra hops (13.2%), half at 15min, half at 45min.
Nottingham dry yeast
1.5lb frozen raspberry
1oz cocoa powder
Batch size: 2.5 gallons
OG=1.078, FG=1.016

I steeped the flaked rice in 2 gallons of water at 166F for 30min, then added DME and brought to a slow boil for 1 hour (hops added @ 15' and 45'). Immediately after I turned off the heat, I added 1.5lb of frozen raspberry to the wort, then cooled the wort to 60C with ice bath. After that, I dumped the wort into sanitized primary with 0.75 gallons of cold water already in it (took into the account the evaporation during boil). I added 7g of yeast and let it sit in my basement (~66F) for 10 days.

I heat sanitized 1 oz of cocoa powder and racked primary on it and let it go for another 10 days before bottling.

I used 10% more dextrose than the normal 3/4 cup / 5gal, but it seemed to give the perfect head.

Overall, the beer turned out very well, alcohol content was pretty high but that may be a plus. The citra hops definitely gave it a really good aroma. Taste wise, raspberry flavor was very strong before bottling, but surprisingly after only 7 days, it mellowed to a point that the cocoa flavor can actually come through. I hope it'll be even better by Christmas

here're 2 pics during secondary.

Old 11-24-2010, 05:35 PM   #39
SteveM
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Glad to hear it turned out well. I noticed that you used rice flakes instead of rice solids. Any comments or thoughts on that? I think another guy went that way (see above) with unsatisfactory results).

Black Diamond Brewery

Old 11-25-2010, 02:53 PM   #40
evo
Recipes 

Ya I used rice flakes bought from a brewer's market since I was having trouble finding rice solids, it seemed to work out well after steeping for 30min (the rice flavor was quite intense, maybe that's the key, I don't know. I originally followed your recipe with 1.5lbs of dme since I'm only doing 2.5g batches, but at the time of secondary it tasted a little too watery (FG was 1.006, think it overattenuated), so i added 1.5lb more dme to the secondary and the body / flavor turned out much better (FG 1.017).

Quick Reply