Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Rasberry Extract

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-21-2012, 05:51 PM   #1
hiphops
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Default Rasberry Extract

I am interested in brewing a wheat that calls for the addition of rasberry extract in the bottling bucket.

2 questions . . .

First. What is this stuff? Is this that stuff by McCormicks, similar to vanilla extract?

Second. Can I just make this on my own? Perhaps boil the rasberries to kill off wild yeasts, then puree it and add to the bottling bucket?

Thanks

Swim - bike - run - repeat
Indict - convict - affirm on appeal - repeat
Brew - bottle - drink - repeat

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2012, 06:22 PM   #2
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 139 Times on 132 Posts

1. It's a nasty tasting attempt to concentrate the flavors.
2. Add 1-2 lbs of frozen raspberries when you have 15 minutes left in the boil. You'll have to reset your timer when the boiling resumes and the beer will have a slight haze for the pectin.
If you do not want any haze, toss the berries in at the end of the boil and stir well before cooling.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 05-21-2012, 09:18 PM   #3
mtodd22
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I made my first raspberry/wheat brew a couple months back and also struggled with whether I should go the extract route or with whole raspberries.
Eventually, mostly due to ease of use, I went with the extract. My LHBS had it for around $9 for 4oz.

I added 3oz at bottling time and I have to say it turned out pretty good. I didn’t add the whole 4 oz. as I was afraid of it getting the cough syrup taste I have read others complain about on here.

Anyway, I haven’t done the whole berries yet, so I can compare, but I can say I was pleasantly surprised and others seemed to really like it as well. Next time, though, I think I’d add the whole 4oz.

Hope this helps.

Old 05-21-2012, 10:12 PM   #4
BeerB4Liquor
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 3 Posts

I have the raspberry extract but haven't used it yet. What I have used a few times (2 X in Canadian ale and once in a Belgian Witbier) is the blueberry extract. I don't want the extract to over power the taste of my beer so I only use 2 ozs. My beer tastes great with just a slight hint of blueberry. I'll be brewing another Canadian Ale after the holiday and plan on trying the raspberry with this batch. Everybody that I turned on with samplers love it. Especially the woman.

Pony up to the bar Ladies and Gents! Because Big Chief's Brewery is serving up my Homebrew!

Quick Reply