Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Raging Bitch Clone

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2013, 07:40 PM   #31
ddockery
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Let us know how that goes - was disappointed they aren't shipping the kits out at all.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2013, 01:24 PM   #32
psbuckland
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

The RB kit actually comes with the actual "El Diablo" liquid yeast, which is why they chose not to ship. If you want to risk the yeast dying...I'll ship you one

S-

Old 03-11-2013, 04:50 PM   #33
ddockery
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by psbuckland View Post
The RB kit actually comes with the actual "El Diablo" liquid yeast, which is why they chose not to ship. If you want to risk the yeast dying...I'll ship you one

S-
I appreciate the offer, but I just brewed my own Belgian IPA 2 weeks ago. Hoping to end up somewhere between Raging Bitch and Allagash Hugh Malone.

Old 04-05-2013, 05:53 PM   #34
brewtime
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddockery View Post
Let us know how that goes - was disappointed they aren't shipping the kits out at all.
FD has said if you want it shipped to you contact them and they will qoute you a price (at least that is what was posted on their FB page) overnighting a 15-20 lbs box gets rather pricey,

Old 04-06-2013, 02:15 AM   #35
ddockery
Recipes 

That's nice to know, but overnight seems like overkill. Yeast vials seem to do just fine with a couple of ice packs. Not trying to complain, because it's pretty awesome they are releasing these at all. It inspired me to make what I think will be a pretty tasty brew of my own too.

Old 05-05-2013, 11:50 PM   #36
JBOGAN
Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Brewed this recipe and had a bottle after one week and it was dead on!Forget the el diablo Wyeast 3522 does the job.

Old 01-23-2014, 05:56 PM   #37
IslandLizard
Progressive Brewing
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 328 Times on 295 Posts
Likes Given: 1035

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBOGAN View Post
Brewed this recipe and had a bottle after one week and it was dead on!Forget the el diablo Wyeast 3522 does the job.
I'm about to brew this, and did the research. There are quite a few recipes out there including the CYBI one.

I agree on the 3522 but how can you say this recipe is dead on? FD lists the IBU as 60. This recipe claims to be 102, although BS calculates it a little lower. I've had the original quite a few times and the IBU is nowhere near 100. 60 sounds about right, and there must be some dry hopping done to get that in your face aroma.

I intend to brew it along the CYBI lines, but may be adding 1 pound of Carapils and/or mash at 153-154°F and use WY3522 (Belgian Ardennes) instead of WY3944 (Belgian Wit). I'll also add the 2.3oz Amarillo dry hop for 5-7 days. Let's see how it comes out.
Preparing: Framboise Clone | Raging Bitch Clone #3 | Tank 7 Saison Clone | Fresh Squeezed IPA | Venturing into some Sours, finally...
Fermenting:
Dry hopping:
Barrel Aging: Old Treacle Mine ==> Flanders
On tap: 2.3'd | ESB | Belgian Wit {1st place @ FSH Guild Wheat Beer Comp.} | Pocahontas Pumpkin Ale
Kicked: Sketchy Bastard | Black Butte Porter Clone | Raging Bitch Clone #2 | Citra Wheat Saison | Rosemary Wheat Saison | Great Lakes Christmas Ale Clone | Caramel Amber Ale

Old 02-03-2014, 02:51 AM   #38
JBOGAN
Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandLizard View Post
I'm about to brew this, and did the research. There are quite a few recipes out there including the CYBI one.

I agree on the 3522 but how can you say this recipe is dead on? FD lists the IBU as 60. This recipe claims to be 102, although BS calculates it a little lower. I've had the original quite a few times and the IBU is nowhere near 100. 60 sounds about right, and there must be some dry hopping done to get that in your face aroma.

I intend to brew it along the CYBI lines, but may be adding 1 pound of Carapils and/or mash at 153-154°F and use WY3522 (Belgian Ardennes) instead of WY3944 (Belgian Wit). I'll also add the 2.3oz Amarillo dry hop for 5-7 days. Let's see how it comes out.
Happened to check back on this post.I meant dead on taste wise.Plan on brewing this in four weeks again.

Old 04-04-2014, 11:14 PM   #39
Horseflesh
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

IslandLizard, any update on your version of the Raging B recipe?

Old 04-06-2014, 10:39 PM   #40
IslandLizard
Progressive Brewing
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 328 Times on 295 Posts
Likes Given: 1035

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horseflesh View Post
IslandLizard, any update on your version of the Raging B recipe?
The flat sample I took today tastes really good, yet still a bit sweeter than I like. I've let it condition for a month trying to get the FG down a bit more. It was at 1.020 and is now at 1.018. I'm calling it done. I think 1.014 would be more in the ballpark.

I've just started dry hopping this with [EDIT] 1.5oz of Amarillo and .5oz of Columbus in 5 gallons in the keg. I'll be taking "samples" along the way

After a few hours the dry hops are very pronounced already, with quite a bit of a bite to them. I hope that will mellow out.

I doubt it's a clone, but definitely yummy.
I should get a six pack and do some more comparative tasting notes, but I really prefer it fresh from the tap. Much better than bottles.

I'll be brewing this again, hopefully closer to the pin. I wonder if using Witbier yeast WY3944 would be the actual ticket. The Belgian Ardennes (WY3522) leaves quite a bit of bubblegum flavor, extra pronounced in the slightly sweet beer. Not sure if it should be there.
Preparing: Framboise Clone | Raging Bitch Clone #3 | Tank 7 Saison Clone | Fresh Squeezed IPA | Venturing into some Sours, finally...
Fermenting:
Dry hopping:
Barrel Aging: Old Treacle Mine ==> Flanders
On tap: 2.3'd | ESB | Belgian Wit {1st place @ FSH Guild Wheat Beer Comp.} | Pocahontas Pumpkin Ale
Kicked: Sketchy Bastard | Black Butte Porter Clone | Raging Bitch Clone #2 | Citra Wheat Saison | Rosemary Wheat Saison | Great Lakes Christmas Ale Clone | Caramel Amber Ale

Last edited by IslandLizard; 04-08-2014 at 11:00 AM. Reason: EDITS/Updates

Quick Reply