Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Radical Brewing's "Tangerine (Wheat) Porter"

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-21-2010, 05:02 AM   #1
arover
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Radical Brewing's "Tangerine (Wheat) Porter"

Alright, so I'm planning my second all grain endeavor...and this one is looking like probably one of the ambitious brews I've done yet. I have a few questions though--

I don't want to post the whole recipe as I believe everyone should buy this beautiful book to get their hands on it, but I can post the ingredients if anyone is curious.

1. It calls for "unmalted soft red wheat flakes", I can't seem to find these in any major brewing supply outlets, but I've found "wheat flakes" which I assume are unmalted, and "red wheat". Which should I go for? The recipe calls to mix them (the unmalted grains), "finely ground", with a pound of six row, mash at 150, then boil for 10 minutes. Am I going to need to "ground" anything further than the pre-milled grains I recieve?

2. Does oatmeal count as an unmalted grain? Do I need to include them in the cereal mash?

3. It calls to have the rest of ingredients at a "protein rest"- what is the standard temp for this, 130F? Also calls to maintain 165F during sparging to keep the starch liqufied, does that mean a fly sparge is required for this? Or can I just drain and batch sparge?

4. The recipe reccomends to ferment with a Belgian Ale yeast. Any reccomendations? I wouldn't have a single clue as to what would compliment the taste of a fruity...wheat....porter.

Thanks for the help guys (and gals), as always.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2010, 08:35 AM   #2
WAdamC
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I've been drinking all night, so may not be able to formulate my thoughts right, but you should read 'How to Brew' by John Palmer. I think you can do so online, but I recommend buying the book. Amazon has it at a good price. I go back to that book every time I brew. Well worth the money.
Just buy ground grain from LHBS or order it. Mash at 150, and batch sparge with 168 water.
You should get BeerSmith. They have a 20some day trial. it is the best thing I have done so far, besides brewing Dude's Lakewalk pale ale... It will calculate mash and strike temps for you, and only $20 after you trial runs out.

Old 04-21-2010, 03:27 PM   #3
arover
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have 'How to Brew'. I also plan on buying pre-milled grain, but the discrepancy comes as to how exactly I should handle what they call for "unmalted soft red wheat flakes"-I don't know exactly what to get. I also have beersmith, which is a rediculously awesome piece of software for moving to AG.

Also, anyone else have any ideas for the Belgian yeast? And for that matter, the rest of the questions (I actually found that in the book it calls for a protein rest at 122F though, so I figured that out)

Quick Reply