Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > quickest grain to glass?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2010, 09:14 AM   #1
SkyWalker
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default quickest grain to glass?

i currently am starting AG batches and i am more concerned with perfecting the process more than anything.. what are the "best" beers that go from glass to grain the quickest? i know that letting it condition longer will make a "better" beer, but i really want to perfect my brewing techniques... in a perfect world i would just have multiple batches fermenting at all times, but i have very limited room (2 carboys max)

i am currently bottling my beers, but kegging will be an option soon

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2010, 09:33 AM   #2
kgfitz
Recipes 

The fastist I know about is the centennial blond. 4 days in primery and 5 days in secondary. I just keged it but I did not tast it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBmadtown View Post
If we were perfect the first time it wouldn't be much of a hobby now would it?

Old 06-03-2010, 09:34 AM   #3
LexusChris
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Default quick batches

I think of wheat based brews as being tasty very quickly. In addition, IPA's taste good when young. All the tasty hop oils are strongest, and haven't faded yet.

I'd avoid dark beers, or those with strong flavors or spices. Those really need the extra aging to mellow or blend together. e.g. a Christmas spice ale, or licorice stout.

You could also brew smaller batches, if your goal is to have more chances to tweek your process, and not have so much beer around. I keep a 3-gal fermenter around for all my 'experimental batches'...

Good luck,
--LexusChris

Old 06-03-2010, 11:16 AM   #4
SkyWalker
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusChris View Post
I think of wheat based brews as being tasty and not have so much beer around.
--LexusChris
luckily for me this is NEVER a problem

thanks for the tips! im thinking of doing BM's blue moon clone and hoping for grain to glass in 2 weeks? feasible?

Old 06-03-2010, 11:45 AM   #5
schmagy
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

My basic pale ales/amber ales seem to be ready pretty quickly as well. Been drinking them in two weeks or less when i first had no pipeline.

Old 06-03-2010, 01:18 PM   #6
hal2814
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts

Low-to-mid IBU. Low-to-mid gravity. Fast yeast. Big starter. That's all there is to it. When my pipeline dries up, I go grain to glass on my pils and saaz smash in as little as 10 days. The OG is around 1.045 to 1.050 and the FG is about 1.008 to 1.010. I use Wyeast 2112 (California Lager). I've been washing 2112 for about five generations now and I swear every generation gets faster. My krausen now regularly drops two days after forming (three days total). I let it sit for about a week, then cold crash and keg it. It settles well, but I usually still use gelatin to speed things along. And I force carb in the keg at 30 PSI for about 2-3 days. Some beers benefit from staying in the fermenter longer. That particular recipe is not one of them.

Quick Reply