New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Quick question on prepping fresh peaches for beer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2010, 05:08 PM   #1
JonClayton
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Quick question on prepping fresh peaches for beer

I am planning on making a peach-wheat brew next week. I went ahead and purchased my fresh peaches because they were on a great sale, but I need to put them away for a few weeks until I am ready. I am thinking I will peel/remove stone and puree in blender, and then freeze the puree until I am ready for it in a few weeks. Does this sound acceptable? Do I need to add any "fruit fresh" before freezing, if so does this interfere with fermentation?

When I am ready to add the peaches to secondary, I am planning to thaw and then microwave them to kill bacteria before adding to secondary, does this sound right?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2010, 06:32 PM   #2
robertwa
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Sounds about right. Last year I made a peach ale and peeled/stoned the peaches, froze them in ziplock bags - didn't bother putting them in a blender as they were so ripe they fell to pieces. When ready for secondary I heated the peaches in a pot to kill off any bugs (didn't boil them) and when cooled added to the secondary....made awesome beer

Old 08-16-2010, 07:28 PM   #3
Azurelimits
Recipes 

I wouldn't bother blending them, I would just cut them small enough to fit into a carboy (if you are using one) or just cut them for more surface area when in a bucket. I made an american wheat a couple weeks ago and didn't even worry about heating them. Everything came out fine and no infections, the alcohol in the beer will help with that. I would say if you were worried, do as robert said, and heat on the stove but dont boil. Look up pasteurizing is what I have been told and you will get some great tips.

Last edited by Azurelimits; 08-24-2010 at 12:47 PM.

Old 08-24-2010, 11:51 AM   #4
polk121
Recipes 

I was thinking of adding some peaches to a light lager Im making right now. Wondering how much to use for just a nice hint of peach in a 5 gallon batch?

Old 08-24-2010, 12:47 PM   #5
Azurelimits
Recipes 

For a light peach flavor, I would add 1# per gal.

Old 08-24-2010, 12:56 PM   #6
bigkdawg
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Hey I've been an avid reader, but have yet to post something informative. I made a peach wit this summer, took about 8 lbs of fresh peaches, kept the pits, when they were very ripe just cut them small enough to fit into the carboy, bagged them up and froze them. Delicious peach flavor, made a 5 gallon batch of it. Just my .02

Old 08-24-2010, 01:12 PM   #7
alanwelam
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Looking to brew something similar to lindeman's peche (sweet peach lambic)... Did the peach wit come close to that taste?

Old 08-24-2010, 02:23 PM   #8
bigkdawg
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I've never had it, the only Lindemans that comes to mind is Framboise, so if the peach is anything like that I would have to say no, the peach is definitely there, but it is not over powering and is a right balance of peach and beer. Also not a lambic, used wyeast belgian wit yeast.

Old 08-24-2010, 02:29 PM   #9
mkling
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I wouldn't peel the peaches. Plenty of flavor and a bit of color in the peels. Also, I personally wouldn't heat the frozen fruit. I've always added it straight to secondary and never had a problem.

Recently Kicked Kegs: Fresh Hop Pale Ale, Citra Rye IPA
On Deck: Old Rasputin, Northstar IPA, Ur-bock Dunkel

Old 09-02-2010, 07:50 PM   #10
TXANM
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I just got a box of Palisade peaches dropped on my desk & the first thing I thought of was... I bet I can make one hell of a beer from this!

So the general consensus from the group is to just cut up the peaches, and throw them in the beer for a couple weeks? I still worry about infection, but it sounds like this is a low chance of occurrence.

Quick Reply