Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > QUICK! HELP! Is my WL Yeast Sample Contaminated?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-13-2009, 02:07 AM   #1
imaguitargod
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Default QUICK! HELP! Is my WL Yeast Sample Contaminated?

Never had this happen before. I picked up a sample of White Labs WLP013 London Ale for the American IPA I'm brewing tomorrow and the tube had a little brown layer (not even 1mm in depth) on the top of the sludge. I thought that was slightly odd.

I go and make the liquid for the starter and right before I pitch I shake up the yeast vial, cracked the top, it hissed and damn near over flowed. It actually looked carbonated. Is my sample contaminated with something nasty?!?!

I’m brewing my fresh hop IPA tomorrow and needed this and I really don’t want to risk spoiling a beer who’s hops I grew all year long. Anyone have this happen? The lot number is 1013ILT7746881 (not like that's goin gto help or anything). I pitched it into the starter just in case it's ok.

Brewer for Hoppin' Frog Brewery.
"I am not an alcoholic, I’m a drunk. An alcoholic means that I have a problem and when I drink all my problems go away."

Last edited by imaguitargod; 09-13-2009 at 02:24 AM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2009, 02:38 AM   #2
santacruzbob
Recipes 

my wlp099 had that too. beer seems fine about 3 weeks into fermenting now

Old 09-13-2009, 02:42 AM   #3
imaguitargod
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

And to top it off, now I'm reading up and questioning weither or not I should even use that strain. Seems everyone likes the California Ale for the style....grrr....

"I am not an alcoholic, I’m a drunk. An alcoholic means that I have a problem and when I drink all my problems go away."

Old 09-13-2009, 08:36 PM   #4
imaguitargod
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Well, I decided to throw that yeast out, didn't want to take a chance. Thanks to santacruzbob for posting! It's sad that no one else responded. Maybe I need to pay money and get an avater before people really start to pay attention to my questions.

Last edited by imaguitargod; 09-13-2009 at 10:37 PM.

Quick Reply