Quick & Easy Kolsch Recipe. Will this Work ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dstranger99

Reaction score
I have 6 lbs of Pilsner along with some Hallertauer hops, I also have some Fuggles, and some Chinook on hand.....

Was thinking of doing a 3 gallon BIAB using the pilsner and Hallertauer.

Doing it like this:

Mash: 150° F for 90 minutes
1 oz Hallertauer hops (60 minutes)
SAFALE US-05 Dry yeast

Would this be ok for a simple 3 gallon Kolsch ?

It's my understanding that some of the defining flavors in Kolsch beers come from using Kolsch/German Ale yeast. Maybe try some WLP029? I'm certainly not a Kolsch expert though... just food for thought. I'm sure what you've listed would be tasty, but perhaps not super Kolsch-y. Good luck.

Check Out Ed Worts Kolsch:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f62/bee-cave-brewery-koelsch-33548/

Looks like he add late additions. I would imagine you could use the hallertau instead of Tettenager.

Looks like you have a blonde ale happening instead of Koelsch. I did 100% Pilsner with Saaz Hops last year and fermented with a Belgian Blend and it was fantastic. I think yours should turn out great too. Just keep ferm temps under control and pitch enough yeast.

Yep, does sound like a blonde.......I'll use Ed's hop times, Thanks !

I'll also do a quick starter with some light DME, and add the US-05 to it.... That should give me plenty yeast for a 3 gallon batch.......

If it were me I'd skip the starter for the 05. Seems unnecessary - you'll have plenty of yeast in a packet for a 3 gallon batch at that gravity. I bet if you plugged it into mrmalty it'd say you don't even need the whole packet. Just rehydrate it and pitch. To each his own though. Have fun with the brew.

Back