Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Questions on blue agave extract

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2009, 04:36 AM   #1
AFAJ Brew Guy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Questions on blue agave extract

You know I am not even quite to sure were to start this post off, not only that I wasn't even sure where to put it as it contains questions on brewing math as well as product. Well here we go....

I am thinking of using this in a batch of experimental beer for my boss. She is a big fan of tequila and beer and I figured I would try to meld the two into one. I am not really trying to make a Tequiza, so please dont think that I am in. I have some good ideas for this, but I really need to work out these issues first, then I can go from there. So first, has anyone used this stuff:

Agave Extract

If you have how much of the agave flavor made it over into the finished product, I know it wont taste just like tequila, but I am trying to judge what the contribution will be. On the sight it says malty aroma and sweetness with hints of molasses, but that just sounds out of place to me. I have had agave sweetener before I dont remember any of that.

The second question, the math part. I did some other research and found that this stuff has an SG of 1.028 per 1 pound in 1 gallon of water. What I need to to figure out is what the OE of that would be. I am pretty much trying to get the info so that I can add it as an ingredient in BTP. For the life of me I cant seem to find a decent formula or explanation of figuring this out. I am going to email MoreBeer and see if they can provide this info, but I would still like to know.

Thanks guys and if anything didn't seem clear let me know!

"There seems to be an over abundance of beer related items in this house." -SWMBO

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2009, 05:32 AM   #2
cuinrearview
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

I used some agave nectar in a hot pepper beer I did last fall. This was an organic sweetener made to replace honey. I used it as such. I only used about a 1/2 lb. but detected no flavor contribution. The one I used was from the health food store. I'd start out with adding it where honey is added in existing recipes. A full lb. or two wouldn't hurt anything in a lighter style like cream ale.

Looking forward to brewing some beer

Old 02-15-2009, 09:36 PM   #3
AFAJ Brew Guy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for the info, I had a feeling that it would not impart too much of the agave flavor. I wills till use it though from an authenticity standpoint.

So I am guessing that no one has any idea about the math?

"There seems to be an over abundance of beer related items in this house." -SWMBO

Old 02-16-2009, 04:22 PM   #4
AFAJ Brew Guy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Just putting this back at the top to see if any one knows the answer to the math question, or at least a resource.

Old 02-16-2009, 06:00 PM   #5
AFAJ Brew Guy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Figured it out. I forgot to look in Palmer.

Old 02-16-2009, 07:24 PM   #6
Notnice
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

what is the answer I want to know

Priming: CBB 1.1, apfelwein
Chillin:1st Mead, ApfelMango-Cyzer, aleApfelwein,blackchapfelwein,blackfelwein,
Blucyzer, Cyzer.
Bottled: Apfelwein 2, Crazy Beech Bitter
Trench Town Brown, Mouf of the Souf Stout, New Mouf of the Souf, Oaked Apfel, Slow-wit
Next Up:Cream ale, Scott red, 888RIS or cocoOatmealRIS, Apfelwein and more Apfelwein

"Always do sober what you said you would do drunk. That will teach you to keep you're mouth shut."-E. Hemingway

Old 02-16-2009, 09:53 PM   #7
AFAJ Brew Guy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Well as is usually in most things homebrew I was making it way more difficult than it needed to be. I basically used this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by How To Brew
If you want to brew 5 gallons of 1.040 gravity beer, this would call for 5 lbs of DME having 40 pts/lb./gal, or 5.5 lbs of LME having 36 pts/lb./gal.

i.e. 1.040 = 40 pts/gal x 5 gal = 200 pts total

200 pts = 36 pts/lb. x (?) lbs => (?) lbs = 200 / 36 = 5.55 lbs.

5.55 lb. of 36 pts/lb./gal LME are needed to make the same 5 gallons of beer.
Wrapped my brain what was really going with the math and what I wanted to find out and went from there.

Also on a personal note I failed miserably at this thread. I forgot to do two things before I posted this. I forgot to search the forum and I forgot to read Palmer.

Quick Reply