The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Question regarding color of Sam Adams Cream Stout clone in "Beer Captured"

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2008, 07:05 PM   #1
SavageSteve
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Default Question regarding color of Sam Adams Cream Stout clone in "Beer Captured"

Has anyone brewed the Sam Adams Cream Stout clone in the "Beer Captured" book? If so, how was the color?

I'm planning on brewing it next weekend, but I'm concerned that the predicted color (using BeerTools Pro) is significantly lower than what is given in the book.

I calculate the color as 25.8 SRM, but the book says it should be 69 SRM, even though I set the color values for the malts in BTP with the values from the book.

I'm just wondering if I should boost the color with some black patent malt or just brew it as is.

Cheers,
Steve

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2008, 10:50 AM   #2
brewt00l
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Can't really help you since I don't know what the SRM of the original is...haven't had one in many moons (and I don't what your recipe is that you're using).

With that wide a discrepancy, I would double check your recipe in beersmith. How close has the predicted SRM been in the past with your brews?

FWIW, before committing to a clone brew I like to check the mfg site for possible conflicts. " dark mahogany color make it almost as easy on the eyes as it is on the palate." Doesn't sound like 69...

Old 02-10-2008, 11:48 AM   #3
ohiobrewtus

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 4

69 SRM sounds very dark. The stout that I'm drinking now is 52 SRM and it's bitch black. I haven't had a SA cream stout for a few months, but I don't remember it being quite that dark.

Old 02-11-2008, 10:53 PM   #4
Skunkyhops
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

That Sam Adams Cream Stout kicks ass. Just finished off the last of a 12 pack. Id be interested to see what your clone recipe looks like that your brewing up.

Old 02-12-2008, 02:08 AM   #5
SavageSteve

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

I'm pretty confident in the BeerTools Pro color estimation-- it matches another recipe I have in ProMash, and seemed reasonably accurate for my past two brews.

Another source, "Stout" of the Classic Beer Style Series indicates that the Sam Adams Cream Stout is about 52 SRM, which at least lessens the discrepancy, but still leaves me wondering what's going on.

The ingredients seem right based on the description on the Sam Adams web site, so perhaps I'll just brew it as-is and see where i end up.

Now, if I could just find some Sinimar, then I could always darken it up after the fact if it's too light :-)

-steve

Quick Reply