Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Question on Pliny the Elder clone

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2012, 04:28 AM   #1
Plinythelderphan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Question on Pliny the Elder clone

This comes from Russian River's Vinny Cilurzo as it appeared in the magazine Best of Brew 150 clones.

Forgive me, I'm new so if this is a dumb question-fire away!

In the recipe, which has been posted amidst these forums as well, they call for the use of 1 lb dextrose but don't articulate where that goes. It is listed after the malts, I'm assuming it is to be part of the steep? The remaining ingredients are not surprisingly all hops!

The recipe obviously calls for priming sugar later in the batch, there is no other recipe that I found that called for the use of dextrose in it, so I wasn't able to interpret it that way.

Has anyone brewed this particular clone? Unless I move to Santa Rosa, I can only count on a few bottles per year, so I'll need to brew my own!

Thanks for your guidance.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2012, 05:13 AM   #2
rcsoccer
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Add the dextrose to the wort when you are boiling it.

Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza.
- Dave Barry

Old 07-11-2012, 07:10 AM   #3
theveganbrewer
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 290 Times on 206 Posts
Likes Given: 265

Add it with about 5 minutes to go in the boil. Anywhere between 15-5 minutes you'll be good. Some will also say you can do it at the beginning. Up to you, but 15-5 minutes

-Retired Homebrewer

Old 07-11-2012, 01:03 PM   #4
stubbornman
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 67

This is the Pliny clone that gets me the closest (may be the same one?) ... Add the dextrose at 20 minutes remaining.

http://farmhousebrewingsupply.fmtemp.com/ProdImages/1Pliny%20the%20Elder%20clone%20PDF-1.pdf

Old 07-11-2012, 01:16 PM   #5
bobbrews
Recipes 

Liked 281 Times on 242 Posts
Likes Given: 18

I used to add sugar additions at the 15 minute mark, but lately I've been pitching it at high krausen after boiling it briefly into a syrup and cooling it down. I find that this method has given me consistently lower OG's than the same exact recipes I have brewed with sugar in the boil. I assume it is because the yeast have a chance to work on the maltose first, then get excited by the glucose (corn sugar) and kick into another gear. A lot of folks add it to the boil, or at flameout for an OG adjustment after reading their refractometer. Choose your path.

Old 07-15-2012, 10:30 PM   #6
Plinythelderphan
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

In this commonly distributed recipe from the brewer at Russian River, there are no mentions of water, how much to boil, sparge, etc...

Any ideas?

Old 07-16-2012, 06:10 PM   #7
garcara
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

From: http://russianriverbrewing.com/brews/pliny-the-elder/

Pliny the Elder is brewed with Amarillo, Centennial, CTZ, and Simcoe hops.

Have they changed the recipe? I thought I had read in the past that elder doesn't use Amarillo?

Old 07-16-2012, 09:22 PM   #8
scottland
Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Yes, Vinnie said he is adding a little Amarillo in the dry hop. He said it's in addition to what was already there; they didn't remove any hops, just added a little amarillo.

I'd do a 1/4oz in the first dry hop, and another 1/4oz in the second of Amarillo.

Old 07-17-2012, 03:54 AM   #9
Plinythelderphan
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Any ideas on the amounts of water? There are no references anywhere to the amount of water used in the steep and the boil.

Old 07-17-2012, 04:24 AM   #10
ktblunden
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 250 Times on 159 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plinythelderphan View Post
Any ideas on the amounts of water? There are no references anywhere to the amount of water used in the steep and the boil.
Mash at 1.25 quarts per lb of grain and sparge enough water to collect about 8 gallons pre-boil to have enough left after a 90 minute boil and accounting for a huge amount of trub from all the hops to net 5 to 5.5 gallons into the fermenter. It's really different for everyone's equipment and you may find that you need to run off more or less for your system.

Beersmith helps a lot with doing the math for you.

Quick Reply