Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > question about using candi sugar

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2008, 11:55 PM   #21
batesjer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by adx
You cannot just toss sugar into the boil. The reaction to invert the the sucrose into fructose and glucose does not occur until the soft crack stage (265F - 275F). Since wort is mostly water you're not going to get much above 212F during the boil.
Inverted sugar syrup can be easily made by adding roughly one gram of citric acid or ascorbic acid, per kilogram of sugar. Cream of tartar (one gram per kilogram) or fresh lemon juice (10 milliliters per kilogram) may also be used. The mixture is boiled for 20 minutes, and will convert enough of the sucrose to effectively prevent crystallization, without giving a noticeably sour taste. Invert sugar syrup may also be produced without the use of acids or enzymes by thermal means alone: two parts granulated sucrose and one part water simmered for five to seven minutes will convert a modest portion to invert sugar.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inverted_sugar_syrup

If I'm wrong, that's fine, I'd just like to see a source. The reason for heating the sugar to that temperature is to reach the hard-crack stage, or rather the stage where so much moisture has been forced out of the solution that the molecules form stable bonds. But I've never heard any state that in order to invert sugar it must reach a certain temperature, only a boil which is a lot lower temperature then what is required to create hard candy. After all a sugar syrup can be inverted, isn't this what most Belgian breweries use nowadays?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2008, 10:09 PM   #22
imaguitargod
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Just read this whole topic and thought I might hijack it for my own purpose instead of starting another topic. When's the best time to add the candi? When I'm boiling the grain, when I add the malt extract, two or three days into it?

If I'm adding two or three days into it whould I boil it in a quart of water to sanitise and dissolve the crystal?

Brewer for Hoppin' Frog Brewery.
"I am not an alcoholic, I’m a drunk. An alcoholic means that I have a problem and when I drink all my problems go away."

Old 11-20-2008, 10:14 PM   #23
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4286 Times on 3123 Posts
Likes Given: 831

Quote:
Originally Posted by imaguitargod View Post
Just read this whole topic and thought I might hijack it for my own purpose instead of starting another topic. When's the best time to add the candi? When I'm boiling the grain, when I add the malt extract, two or three days into it?

If I'm adding two or three days into it whould I boil it in a quart of water to sanitise and dissolve the crystal?
You don't boil grain, so that's out. (You can steep grains, however, but you still wouldn't put the sugar in there). You can add it at the end of the boil, or you can add it later into fermentation. I think most people add it to the end of the boil, at about 15 minutes left.

Old 11-20-2008, 10:16 PM   #24
imaguitargod
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by YooperBrew View Post
You don't boil grain, so that's out. (You can steep grains, however, but you still wouldn't put the sugar in there). You can add it at the end of the boil, or you can add it later into fermentation. I think most people add it to the end of the boil, at about 15 minutes left.
Sorry, ment to say steep grains...still trying to engrain the correct terms into my every day vocabulary.

Thanks for your answer.

Brewer for Hoppin' Frog Brewery.
"I am not an alcoholic, I’m a drunk. An alcoholic means that I have a problem and when I drink all my problems go away."

Quick Reply