Question about Brewer's syrup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MONST3R

Reaction score
Hello all. I'm about to start my first batch of beer this evening and I have a question that i'm not sure of. I bought a Muntons Blonde Beer Making Kit. The store i purchased this from said I would also need the Muntons Brewer's Syrup (HMG) ... so i bought it.

I got the directions out and here is where I have the question. Step 4 of the directions says " Add 1kg (2.2 lbs) of corn sugar"

The directions ask for corn sugar but i don't have that, all i got was the Brewers syrup the store owner told me i would need. Are these two things the same thing??? Because the jar of brewers syrup is 1 kg??

Any help is appreciated

I'm still new at this myself, but... corn sugar is usually used when bottling, after the fermentation is done. At least, that's all I've used it for. The syrup, I"m guessing is a liquid malt extract, which means it is the main fermentable sugars. It would be pretty helpful if you tell us what step 3 is then tell us what step 4 is and how the corn sugar is supposed to be used.

...also, you might want to wait for a pro's response, like I said, I'm still pretty new but that's my 2 cents.

i am assuming the jar of syup is high malt glucose(is it a clear syrup?)
my lhbs sells it as well. did you get another can of extract?
it can be used in place of corn sugar but your beer will be better if you buy another can of malt extract and use it in place of the syrup or corn sugar.
my first beer was from a kit and i used the sugar/syrup boost.
the beer was drinkable but the batches made with all malt are much better
if you could post the directions it may take some of the guesswork out. can you call the store for clarification? they sell it - they should be able to help

If I'm correct it's barley syrup which is worse than corn sugar or table sugar.

You beer won't thank you for it. Add DME or LME instead and your beer will be better.

Ok thanks for the replies. I will type out the instructions.

1. Remove the label from the can and keep for instructions. Meanwhile, start sterilising your fermenter and stirrer.

2. Stand the can in hot water for 5 minutes to soften contents. Then start boiling
3 1/2 litres of water.

3. Open the can and pour the contents into your cleaned and sterilised fermenter.

4. Add the 3 1/2 litres of boiling water to the fermenter and than add
1 kg (2.2 lbs) of corn sugar.

5. Throughly mix the contents of the fermenter to fully disolve the sugar and malt extract.

6. Add cold water to bring the volume up to 23 litres (6 US Gallons) total - This should take an additional 17 1/2 litres of cold water.

7. Stir well than sprinkle in the yeast supplied and stir once again.

8. Cover the fermenter, place in a warm area and leave to ferment.

9. Fermentation will be complete when bubbles cease to rise (usually 5 to 6 days)

Bottling

1. Sterilise bottles

2. Add 1/2 a teaspoon of corn sugar to each beer bottle and siphon the beer off the sediment into the bottles, filling the bottles to withing 1 inch from the top.

3. Cap the bottles with crown caps and than store for 5 days in a warm area to encourage carbonation before moving to a cooler area.

It even tells you how to drink it lol. I'm sure we can all figure that one out...

As for your questions Rod. Yes it is a clear syrup. This is what the ingredients say " Maltose, Dextrose, Maltotriose, and Saccharides. So the Brewer's Syrup can be used in place of the corn sugar they ask for? Because i don't have the can of malt extract you mentioned and i'm kind of anxious to do this

1. Remove the label from the can and keep for instructions. Meanwhile, start sterilising your fermenter and stirrer

this can you mention^^^ is it a different can than the brewers syrup?
if so and it is amber it is liquid malt extract.
you can use it and the syrup to make your beer this time.
next time though, skip the brewers syrup and get another can of malt - you will like the results more

yea, wait for confirmation on this from someone else. But, seems like you should just replace "corn sugar" in your recipe with the syrup you have. Also, seems like your recipe is calling for regular old sugar to replace grain sugar, which will make your beer have a less "beer" taste. You could replace that syrup with liquid or dry malt extract and have a beer with straight up grain sugars.

Yeah those instuctions above are from the Muntons Blonde Beer making Kit its just a tin can about the same size as an apple juice can which you can see at this link http://www.muntons.com/homebeer/countries/canada_usa/prem_blond_beer.htm

The Brewers Syrup didnt come with directions. Thanks alot for the help. So when it's bottling time i can also use the Brewers syrup instead of the corn sugar it asks for?

2. Add 1/2 a teaspoon of corn sugar to each beer bottle and siphon the beer off the sediment into the bottles, filling the bottles to withing 1 inch from the top.

instead of the above^^^
boil 3/4 cup of corn sugar in a cup of water ,cool and add to your bottling bucket.
syphon your beer (without splashing) into the bucket - this mixes your priming sugar more evenly than adding to each bottle.
since you will be adding the whole can of brewers syrup to your fermenter - buy corn sugar for priming instead of more syrup

in your spare time read this www.howtobrew.com
it will answer most questions

yes you can add the brewer's syrup instead of corn sugar. the brewer's syrup is used to make a smoother higher gravity beer, which means it will have a higher percentage of alcohol. If you bottle, priming sugar is used. After the fermentation phase is complete, siphon the beer into another bucket or carboy without getting the crap on the bottom into the other bucket. mix the sugar into the bucket and then bottle the beer from that bucket.

Back