Question about adding cane sugar to recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hinke

Reaction score
Hi,

I have the Brew Classic Styles book and would like to make the Imperial IPA. It calls for sugar to be added.

Question:

At what time do I add the sugar? At the beginning of the boil or middle? Or does it matter?

You could get a lot of different answers on this one. A lot of people add it right to the boil at the beginning and others add it later.

Depending on the yeast and gravity of the beer, I've even added the sugar later after fermentation has been underway so that the yeast focus on the fermentables in the rest of the grain bill and don't poop out on the simple sugar.

I'm sure someone will debate that also but I've read a lot about it.

If adding it later while fermenting, won't the OG of the recipe be wrong then? I am a bit slow today (more than normal I guess), but wouldn't the OG of the recipe take into consideration the sugars from the grains and the cane sugar together?

I've never brewed with plain cane sugar, so I am little bit confused.

I will just be using WLP001.

Thanks.

No the OG won't be wrong (well the initial reading would) because the same amount of sugar is going into the beer. I like the late addition method myself, and usually add as the krausen is falling.

ok. Makes sense.

Wouldn't the sugar have a hard time dissolving in a late addition? risk for infection etc?

I also add sugars in the last 15 minutes or so and stir alot when I add so it doesn't burn on the bottom.

ok. Makes sense.

Wouldn't the sugar have a hard time dissolving in a late addition? risk for infection etc?

You need to boil it in a few cups of water prior to adding it late in the fermentation.

Latest posts

Back