Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Purchasing Malted Corn?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2013, 02:29 PM   #1
Cpt_Kirks
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 39 Posts

Default Purchasing Malted Corn?

Does anybody sell corn malt online? Or, will I have to malt my own?

I've tried flaked corn, but it does not produce any noticeable corn flavors.

This is for my Mexican Amber Lager. I want to add a few pounds of corn malt to the next batch.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2013, 06:37 PM   #2
daksin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 272 Times on 238 Posts
Likes Given: 323

Corn is not a strong flavor- I've never heard of anyone using malted corn but that doens't use much. We add 1-2 lbs to our cream ale which only imparts a light corn sweetness, which is all you really want.

I can't be arsed to keep up this list of what's in the fermenters, but hey, check out the cool brewery I own!

twitter.com/2kidsbrewing .. facebook.com/2kidsbrewing .. 2kidsbrewing.com

Old 03-07-2013, 02:59 PM   #3
Cpt_Kirks
Recipes 

I just picked up a 50 pound sack of popcorn.

Wonder if it can be malted?

Probably be harder to crush than malted field corn.

Old 03-07-2013, 03:02 PM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2711 Times on 1629 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

There's been a pretty active thread on malting corn that's been going on for a month or so. It might be the one at the top of the similar threads box below, the one that ws just posted in yesterday. And I think there's a link in there to another malting corn thread.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 03-07-2013, 03:32 PM   #5
Cpt_Kirks
Recipes 

Interesting.

Corn will only be about 10% of my grain bill, so the conversion issue he had should not be a problem.

Old 03-07-2013, 03:38 PM   #6
Revvy

Recipes 

The other thing to try is to air pop the popcorn and use that in your cream ale Malticuolus has a thread on it. Been meaning to try it. You can also use any other form of corn, such as grits, or creamed corn or corn on the cob, and I've even used tortilla chips, and you'd just have to do a cereal mash first. You could also try grinding the popcorn and cereal mashing that. There are so many ways that corn can be used, and I'm sure some of them impart more of a corny taste than others. I'm thinking roasting corn on the cob and using that, or maybe making polenta and chucking that in the mash tun....

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 03-07-2013, 04:00 PM   #7
krackin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 160 Times on 117 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Be sure to roast your corn in the husk if you haven't done that before. I suggest that to my customers as the best way to always cook fresh corn. They all agree after trying it. It prevents burning, silks come off easy, and retains flavor.

Old 03-07-2013, 04:23 PM   #8
Revvy

Recipes 

Love it that way!

Old 03-07-2013, 06:06 PM   #9
Cpt_Kirks
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
The other thing to try is to air pop the popcorn and use that in your cream ale Malticuolus has a thread on it. Been meaning to try it. You can also use any other form of corn, such as grits, or creamed corn or corn on the cob, and I've even used tortilla chips, and you'd just have to do a cereal mash first. You could also try grinding the popcorn and cereal mashing that. There are so many ways that corn can be used, and I'm sure some of them impart more of a corny taste than others. I'm thinking roasting corn on the cob and using that, or maybe making polenta and chucking that in the mash tun....
I think I might have some left over corn bread...

This is for a Mexican Amber Lager, BTW.

Old 03-07-2013, 06:12 PM   #10
Ash_Mathew
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Hi,

I have malted and roasted popping corn. Worked out quite well. Smells fantastic and I have still to use it. Below are some pictures of how it turned out. I only did 500g, but plan to do the other 500g this weekend.

image-1772233781.jpg

image-3472593157.jpg

image-155987155.jpg

image-2695767300.jpg

Quick Reply