Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Pumpkin Wheat for SWMBO

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-17-2012, 09:44 PM   #1
Mike37
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

Default Pumpkin Wheat for SWMBO

Hey guys, I have a quick recipe to bounce off the forum. My wife is suddenly all hyped up for a good pumpkin ale this season, but being a huge fan of wheats, she really has her heart set on a pumpkin wheat style ale. So she has summoned me to brew something "wheaty and pumpkiny" up for her. Here's what I'm thinking:

5lb 2 row
5lb white wheat
0.75lb crystal 60
3lb 100% pumpkin in mash
1.5 tbsp pumpkin pie spice last min of boil

She's looking for a mild wheaty ale with a nice hit of spice. Should I add some brown sugar to dry it up a bit? I'm a little undecided there. Hops will be mild with probably just a small bittering addition at 60 minutes. The recipe sounds fine in my head but I just thought I'd run it by you guys. I'd really appreciate the input.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2012, 10:33 PM   #2
jonmohno
Recipes 

Liked 410 Times on 361 Posts
Likes Given: 1210

She probably would like Shocktops pumpkin wheat. You could mash at a lower temp-but I proably would mash longer also.More importantly what yeast? I think alot of American wheats end up dry,think that may depend on what kind of wheat or yeast more also.

Old 09-17-2012, 10:39 PM   #3
aiptasia
Recipes 

Liked 531 Times on 469 Posts
Likes Given: 162

I'd probably skip the pumpkin altogether and just use the pumpkin pie spices, add a half pound of cara 20L for the honey-like sweetness and use a low attenuation yeast, like windsor. The low attenuators would serve a malty beverage like this a little better and leave behind more of those malty sweet flavors.

I also might be tempted to use some low alpha acid hops for this one like hallertau, willamette or saaz for some earthy floral notes.

2014: Seven Heavens Series One: Vilon, Mystic Melomel, Skeeter Pee.

Old 09-19-2012, 02:21 AM   #4
Mike37
Recipes 

Thanks for the ideas. I think I'll leave out the actual pumpkin or just toss a small can in so I can say there's actually pumpkin in it. I do a hybrid biab, so a stuck sparge isn't an issue. I just don't think the pumpkin will add much flavor.

I think I have everything figured out except for brown sugar. Would a pound of it help my cause?

Old 09-20-2012, 02:30 PM   #5
Mike37
Recipes 

Brewed it up last night. Made the house smell incredible!

image-1566239560.jpg

Old 10-11-2012, 05:17 PM   #6
Mike37
Recipes 

Well here it is. Just thought I'd share a pic of it for anyone following along.

It's still young (force carbed) so the flavors have some blending to do, but this turned out really good. I can only describe it as various toasty and caramel type flavors with a hint of lingering pumpkin the whole time. Mouthfeel is silky yet heavy and aroma mirrors the taste.

The pie spices must have been scrubbed out, so I'll add a pinch in the glass when I serve or rim the glass with it. I'm surprised at the pumpkin flavor that made it through just from one small can, though. Next time I'll bake the pumpkin for a less "raw" taste to it. Overall pretty happy with it! SWMBO is going to try it tonight.

image-453619718.jpg  

Quick Reply

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS