Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Pumpkin Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-02-2009, 02:27 PM   #1
ohiodad
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Pumpkin Questions

O.k. I'm brewing a pumpkin beer today. This recipe calls for adding 5 pounds of canned pumpkin to the boil. I am thinking that is gonna cause quite a mess. Thinking about putting the pumpkin in my hop stopper that is made from the PVC pipe and a paint strainer. My question to some of you pros is will that alter the flavor any? Does the pumpkin actually need to go into the primary fermenter or not? What are your thoughts?
Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2009, 02:39 PM   #2
ACo
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiodad View Post
O.k. I'm brewing a pumpkin beer today. This recipe calls for adding 5 pounds of canned pumpkin to the boil. I am thinking that is gonna cause quite a mess. Thinking about putting the pumpkin in my hop stopper that is made from the PVC pipe and a paint strainer. My question to some of you pros is will that alter the flavor any? Does the pumpkin actually need to go into the primary fermenter or not? What are your thoughts?
Thanks!
I've heard that pumpkin is messy no matter what....If you can find a good way to contain it, then let me know. I am about to brew one myself!

Primary 1: Empty :(
Primary 2: Empty
Primary 3: Empty
Primary 4: Empty
Bottled: 802 AIPA (6% abv), Dunkelweizen (6.6% abv), EdWort's Apfelwein (8.5% abv), Centennial IPA (6.2% abv), 802 House Honey Pils Pale Ale (3.2% abv), 802 100IBU IIPA (7.7% abv), 802 Magnum/Centennial IPA (6.0% abv), 802 Honey Cream Ale (6.0% abv), Bourbon Breakfast Stout (7% abv)

Old 08-02-2009, 02:39 PM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2710 Times on 1629 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

Actually it doesn't make that much of a mess to just dump it in...That's all I have ever done if it calls for in boil additions.

You could use the strainer if you wanted to mess with it, but to me that's just more of a hassle, and one more thing to clean up. I just chill and rack off the goop in the bottom kettle. Cleaning the strainer bag will actually be more of a hassle with all the pumpkin and hop gunk caught in the seams and mesh.

For best results with canned pumkin, spread it out on a baking sheet and "roast" in the oven at around 350 for about a half hour until it turns a little darker that it is...that will create a maillard reaction that will carmelise the pumpking and draw out the sugars present in it.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 08-02-2009, 02:42 PM   #4
ACo
Recipes 

Thanks revvy....I was reading the thunderstruck pumpkin ale thread and i guess i was worried about that as well...

Primary 1: Empty :(
Primary 2: Empty
Primary 3: Empty
Primary 4: Empty
Bottled: 802 AIPA (6% abv), Dunkelweizen (6.6% abv), EdWort's Apfelwein (8.5% abv), Centennial IPA (6.2% abv), 802 House Honey Pils Pale Ale (3.2% abv), 802 100IBU IIPA (7.7% abv), 802 Magnum/Centennial IPA (6.0% abv), 802 Honey Cream Ale (6.0% abv), Bourbon Breakfast Stout (7% abv)

Old 08-02-2009, 06:12 PM   #5
mr_clean
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

5LBS.I used 1 can

Old 08-03-2009, 12:09 PM   #6
cactusgarrett
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 8

My vote is to mash the pumpkin after toasting (as in, include it in the mash).

~~ Malted barley wants to become beer. ~~

Old 08-03-2009, 01:00 PM   #7
Chello
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusgarrett View Post
My vote is to mash the pumpkin after toasting (as in, include it in the mash).
This is what i did as well. Use a lot of rice hulls and you'll be fine. It will also keep the majority pumpkin out of the boil and thus out of the fermenter.

Mashing is the way to go.

"Retail is for suckers."

Old 08-03-2009, 01:08 PM   #8
Overdue4Brew
Recipes 

im going to start one this friday. wish me luck

Quick Reply