The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Pumpkin preparation for pumpkin ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2009, 12:37 PM   #21
Playinitcool
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I ran two batches this year. first batch I uses .5 tsp of spices like most recipes call for and couldn't taste the spice. I have a feeling the problem came from adding the spice with 5 mins left in boil they say spices are volitile and loose flavor after boiling.

Second batch I did with twice the spices and dropped them in at 2 mins left in boil. It's not ready yet, but I tried a sip when transfering to secondary and was much happier with the spice.

I think 2 mins is the key here, but I would recommend the following:
1 - 1.5 tsp Cinnamon
.5 - 1 tsp Cloves
.5 - 1 tsp Allspice
.5 tsp Ginger
.5 tsp vanilla extract

I must say though, The batch with no spice flavor was still terrific. Kegged it for a Halloween party and it was a hit! That said, maybe start on the low end for your first batch.

Oh... did I mention only add it for 2 mins?!

PlayinitCool
the beer brewing deviant from Fantasy Brewmasters
www.FantasyBrewmasters.com

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2009, 02:34 PM   #22
yummybeer
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

i went to a microbrewery/resturant earlier this week and had their pumpkin ale. best pumpkin ale that i've had. brewmaster happened to have free time and i was able to chat with him and get his recipe for it. recipe he gave me was for a 310 gallon batch and i haven't had a chance to divide up the ingridients for a 5 gallon batch yet. once i do i'll share the recipe on this forum.

Old 11-08-2009, 01:30 AM   #23
RichBrewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 77 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by yummybeer View Post
i went to a microbrewery/resturant earlier this week and had their pumpkin ale. best pumpkin ale that i've had. brewmaster happened to have free time and i was able to chat with him and get his recipe for it. recipe he gave me was for a 310 gallon batch and i haven't had a chance to divide up the ingridients for a 5 gallon batch yet. once i do i'll share the recipe on this forum.
Well what are you waiting for???

Cheers,
Rich

Old 11-08-2009, 02:40 AM   #24
yummybeer
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

i'm waiting for the amber to finish in my primary.

Old 11-16-2009, 03:27 AM   #25
Guinness
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Just transfered from primary to secondary tonight. Only left it in the primary for 8 days because we left the pumpkin in the primary and were a little concerned about the pumpkin starting to rot.

It fermented beautifully. We poured the wort on top of an active yeast cake from a cooper's kit we had just transfered to a secondary, so things got rolling quickly. When we checked ~12h later, it was happily blowing over!

The ale was a really nice orange colour, and a sample of it had a really nice, earthy squash/pumpkin (as opposed to pumpkin pie) taste. SG is at 1.012 and I can't see it going much lower than that. Can't wait for this one!

Primary -- empty :(
Secondary -- Apple cider
In Keg -- Wheat Ale
Bottled -- Bennington Wedding Ale
On Deck -- Rogenbier

Quick Reply