Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Pumpkin preparation for pumpkin ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2009, 12:51 AM   #1
Zooom101
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Pumpkin preparation for pumpkin ale

So I have a recipe for a pumpkin ale that I'm going to brew pretty soon. It tells me to get an eight pound pumpkin, quarter it, bake it at 350 for two hours, cube it and add it to the boil.

Is this standard procedure for brewing with pumpkin? Am I supposed to scoop the guts out first or bake the guts too? If anyone has any insight please let me know.

Thanks.

Bottled/Kegged: Crappy Bock (my first brew!), IPA, Manny's Octoberfest, Paulaner Hefe-weizen clone (my first all-grain!), Ed's Honey Oatmeal Stout, Dos Equis clone, Pumpkin Spice Ale (my first ruined batch), American Red Ale, Angel Wings from BCS, Edworts Apfelwein, American Wheat from BCS,Terrapin Rye Pale Ale from CYBI, Munich Madness from BCS.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2009, 01:15 AM   #2
RichBrewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 80 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 67

Buy canned pumpkin! It's easier and canned is just as good.

Cheers,
Rich

Old 10-08-2009, 02:09 AM   #3
Zooom101
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

If my recipe calls for 8 pounds of fresh pumpkin, how many cans should I use?

Bottled/Kegged: Crappy Bock (my first brew!), IPA, Manny's Octoberfest, Paulaner Hefe-weizen clone (my first all-grain!), Ed's Honey Oatmeal Stout, Dos Equis clone, Pumpkin Spice Ale (my first ruined batch), American Red Ale, Angel Wings from BCS, Edworts Apfelwein, American Wheat from BCS,Terrapin Rye Pale Ale from CYBI, Munich Madness from BCS.

Old 10-08-2009, 02:42 AM   #4
BeerArchitect54
Recipes 

could you share the recipe?

Old 10-08-2009, 07:51 PM   #5
Zooom101
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

It's from the Homebrewers Recipe Guide.

3 pounds amber malt extract
3 pounds light dry malt extract
1 pound crystal malt
.5 pound chocolate malt
1 TSP gypsum
2 oz kent goldings hops
1 oz fuggles hops
1 TSP Irish moss
8 pounds pumpkin (fresh)
1 package pumpkin pie spice
4 cinnamon sticks
3 whole nutmegs
6 whole allspice
1 package London ale yeast
.75 cup corn sugar

Quarter the pumpkin and sprinkle with pumpkin pie spice. Bake for 2 hours at 350 until tender. Remove from oven and cut into 1 inch cubes and mash slightly. Steep specialty grains at 15 for 30 min. Remove grains and add extracts, Kent goldings hops, pumpkin, cinnamon sticks, nutmeg, and allspice. Boil for 60 min. Remove whole spices and pumpkin. Cool wort and pitch yeast.

I haven't tried this recipe before. It'll be my first time brewing with anything other than grain, hops, water, and yeast.

Old 10-08-2009, 07:53 PM   #6
Neonsilver
Recipes 

In the pumpkin ale I just made I used two large cans of Libby's that were 30 oz. each so just under 4 lbs total.

On deck - AAA x2, Irish red
Primary - Baltic porter, IIPA, Mild, ESB, Milk stout, Scottish 80
Secondary - American Barleywine
Bottled - Gingerbread ale, IPA, Brown porter, RIS, Better than dead x2, APA x2, Kolsch

Old 10-08-2009, 08:13 PM   #7
JLem
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 168 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Seems like a lot of pumpkin to me. I just listened to the Jamil Show podcast on spice beers and he mentioned the Wild Goose Pumpkin Patch Ale that uses 1lb of pumpkin pulp for a 5 gallon batch. Not sure how much pulp you get out of an 8 lb pumpkin though.

It was also mentioned that the pumpkin pulp needs to be mashed, not added to the boil. As for your method of quartering and roasting, it sounds right - just like you would do for making a pumpkin pie from scratch. You should probably use the pie/cooking pumpkins for this though.

My Beer Cellar

Last edited by JLem; 10-08-2009 at 11:11 PM.

Old 10-09-2009, 01:34 AM   #8
RichBrewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 80 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 67

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLem View Post
Seems like a lot of pumpkin to me. I just listened to the Jamil Show podcast on spice beers and he mentioned the Wild Goose Pumpkin Patch Ale that uses 1lb of pumpkin pulp for a 5 gallon batch. Not sure how much pulp you get out of an 8 lb pumpkin though.

It was also mentioned that the pumpkin pulp needs to be mashed, not added to the boil. As for your method of quartering and roasting, it sounds right - just like you would do for making a pumpkin pie from scratch. You should probably use the pie/cooking pumpkins for this though.
I would be interested in knowing why Jamil says the pumpkin must be mashed. I did a bit of research on pumpkin and from what I read, there isn't much starch in pumpkin and it isn't worth mashing for the sugars. The pumpkin is added for flavor and mouth feel. It should be added to the boil.

Some things I know for sure: there must be 50 ways to make pumpkin ale. Everyone thinks their method is best. I make the best pumpkin ale of anyone here at HBT.

Cheers,
Rich

Old 10-09-2009, 02:43 AM   #9
JLem
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 168 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBrewer View Post
I would be interested in knowing why Jamil says the pumpkin must be mashed. I did a bit of research on pumpkin and from what I read, there isn't much starch in pumpkin and it isn't worth mashing for the sugars. The pumpkin is added for flavor and mouth feel. It should be added to the boil.
Not sure, but if you listen to the podcast, at about 21:00 he fields a question concerning baking or boiling the pumpkin first and in his answer he mentions that the pumpkin needs to be converted in the mash and that extract brewers can't go and grind up a bunch of pumpkin and just throw it in the boil.

My Beer Cellar

Old 10-10-2009, 10:12 PM   #10
yummybeer
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

a recipe that a friend shared with me said to use a 5 lb pumpkin. quater the pumpkin, clean off and decard the seeds, and bake the meat for an hour at 350 degrees. then take meat off rine and put the meat in the mash.

Quick Reply