Pumpkin Debate (yes another)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arneba28

Reaction score
Ok dont kill me or anything for this. But I was thinking of either a Schwarzbier Pumpkin ale or a Pumpkin porter.
Which sounds better. I am leading more towards the Schwarzbier

Schwarzbier Pumpkin

6 lbs Dark DME
1 lbs Munich
10oz Carafa III

30oz Can Pumpkin(20min)
1tsp Nutmeg
1tsp Allspice
.5tsp Cinnamon

1.5oz Willamette 5.2 (60)
.5oz Willamette 5.2 (25)
.5oz Willamette 5.2 (1)

or

Pumpkin Porter

0.25 lbs. Crystal Malt 80°L
0.25 lbs. Munich Malt
0.75 lbs. American Chocolate Malt
0.125 lbs. Weyermann CaraFoam
5.5 lbs. ExLt DME

30oz Can Pumpkin(20min)
1tsp Nutmeg
1tsp Allspice
.5tsp Cinnamon

1.2 oz. Fuggle (Pellets, 4.75 %AA) boiled 60 min.
0.50 oz. East Kent Goldings (Pellets, 5.00 %AA) boiled 25 min.
0.50 oz. East Kent Goldings (Pellets, 5.00 %AA) boiled 1 min.

So tell me what you think. Am I crazy. I think the roastyness in both will go nice with pumpkin and spice

I've done pumpkin porters...they're tasty and have a lot of body....Never thought of a Swartzbier before....I'd say do it!!! You may be on to something really cool!

I like to mash my pumpkin. Although I probably get a little less flavor, I dont have to deal with all of that crap in the boil/fermenter. Just make sure you have some rice hulls.

Not meaning to hijack your posting here, but why are you using canned pumpkin? I've done several pumkin ales, and I always roasted a real pumpkin and used that. There wasn't any real logic behind it, besides I just never even thought of using canned pumpkin. Is it messy?

Not meaning to hijack your posting here, but why are you using canned pumpkin? I've done several pumkin ales, and I always roasted a real pumpkin and used that. There wasn't any real logic behind it, besides I just never even thought of using canned pumpkin. Is it messy?

I contemplated what to use on my first Pumpkin Ale. The seller for canned pumpkin was that it is 100% pumpkin. No spices, preservatives or anything added. I figured why go through the trouble of carving and roasting a pumpkin when you can get the same exact thing in a can.

Schwarzbier it is. I bought the stuff tonight. Brewing Tomorrow morning

Back