Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Pumpkin beers: Discussion, developing recipes, tips tricks, and a good practices

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2009, 01:07 AM   #81
Chugger
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default What to do with the pumpkin after boil?

Ok, I was planning on making this as an extract version tomorrow. I was going to add the pumpkin to the boil per Yuri's Thunderstruck Pumpkin Ale recipe. My question is, if I do that would I strain when adding to the primary or just leave the pumpkin in there and expect to clean out a massive amount of trub in a week or so?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2009, 03:43 AM   #82
JBZSTL
Recipes 

The prior posts have all been helpful. Here are my plans. I should note that this will be my third batch and was originally going to brew a BestBrew Amber kit until I started reading this thread.

Ingredients:
For 5 gallons
2 cups Crystal Malt (pkg states for Amber or Pumpkin Kits)
3 lb Amer DME
2 lb Light DME
Northern Brewer Hop Pellets (8 AAU's)
1098 British Ale (Wyeast)

I intend on adding the pumpkins to the mash in a grain bag along with the grains (seperate bag). Is 15oz of canned pumpkins enough? What spices should I add (pumpkin spice, cinammon, nutmeg?) and what quantities of each? I plan on using a "ale pail" for my primary and then racking to a carboy for my secondary.

Am I on the right track or do I have delusions of simplicity?

Old 08-15-2009, 06:36 PM   #83
Schnitzengiggle
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 16

FWIW, I used 60 oz (4 cans baked for an hour) in the boil in my recipe, I ended up with about 5.5 gallons in the fermenter, and due to trub loss only about 4.5 gallons made it into the secondary.

Definitely make about .5 to 1 gallon extra for trub loss. It was an extract recipe.

Okham's Razor - simplest explanation is usually the correct one.

My DIY Kegerator - My DIY Fermentation Chamber - My DIY Portable Pump Box

Last edited by Schnitzengiggle; 08-15-2009 at 06:39 PM.

Old 08-15-2009, 09:30 PM   #84
MVKTR2
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Notes on sweet potato use. Vardeman MS is known as the Sweet Potato capital, good stuff... but no biggie. Us southerners hardly ever eat pumpkin's and the only place you can buy a pumpkin pie is pre-made & frozen in the store. I say that to give you a feel that a few of us carve em up for Halloween, but hardly anyone here eats them... why would ya when sweet potatoes are so much sweeter, taste better, & cheaper! Anyway Mississippi's only microbrewery, Lazy Magnolia, makes a sweet potato stout called Jefferson Stout. What's interesting is the bier is 3.5% abv, but it's very flavorful with just a hint of the sweet potato on the finish.

Just a few thoughts, & a campaign for the mighty sweet potato!!!

Schlante,
Phillip

"Perhaps wisdom for me is understanding how truely small I am, and that there is no smug self centered moment of clarity when there is so much more to learn" Anthony Bourdain

Old 08-16-2009, 10:48 PM   #85
EuBrew
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

bump.......

anyone have any difinitive suggestions on quantity of spices to use for a 5 gal batch??

Secondary 1: empty
Secondary 2: empty
Secondary 3: empty

Kegged: New Belgium Ranger IPA Clone attempt #1
Bottled Southern Tier Pumking Clone

Planned: EdWort's haus pale ale
CBC Bodhi IPA

I may be naive but I make up for that with inexperience!!

Old 08-17-2009, 03:20 PM   #86
sharp63
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
FWIW, I used 60 oz (4 cans baked for an hour) in the boil in my recipe, I ended up with about 5.5 gallons in the fermenter, and due to trub loss only about 4.5 gallons made it into the secondary.

Definitely make about .5 to 1 gallon extra for trub loss. It was an extract recipe.
Do you put the pumpkin in for the full boil?

I'm going to do an extract based on an amber recipe and am curious when the best times to add the extra ingredients are. I'm planning on using pumpkins as well as spices, so knowing the best times for each would be really helpful.

Old 08-17-2009, 04:08 PM   #87
14thstreet
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I brewed my 'spice only' red ale yesterday and planned to use the spices according to a recipe in Brewing Classic Styles. For a 6 gallon batch, it recommends adding 2/3rds of the following blend, at 1 minute left in the boil: 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon, 1/4 tsp ground ginger, 1/8 tsp ground nutmeg, 1/8 tsp ground allspice. The remaining third is added after fermentation is done, according to taste.

In reality, I split my amber ale batch and to a 2.75 gallon final volume, I unfortunately forgot to use my brain and added 3/4th of the above spice blend at 1 minute left in the boil. The aroma hit me in the face but quickly subsided after a 15 minute steep after flameout. Tasting a sample did not reveal the spice, perhaps the sweet wort is masking it at this time. This one might have to age a bit more than I planned to mellow out the spices if they do overwhelm the beer after fermentation is complete. I did not use pumpkin.

On a side note, I also bungled the other half of my beer, adding the full batch hop additions, making a 72 IBU amber instead of 36!

On Deck: Kumquat Kolsch

Old 08-17-2009, 04:49 PM   #88
Schnitzengiggle
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharp63 View Post
Do you put the pumpkin in for the full boil?

I'm going to do an extract based on an amber recipe and am curious when the best times to add the extra ingredients are. I'm planning on using pumpkins as well as spices, so knowing the best times for each would be really helpful.
Yeah, I boiled for the full 60 minutes, also this beer will be conditioned for a good 3 months before drinking, I added spice to the last 5 minutes of the booil, as well as racking on top of more spice in the secondary, however, I wish I would have made a spice teas to add to the secondary instead of adding the spices dry, but I'll live and learn.

Okham's Razor - simplest explanation is usually the correct one.

My DIY Kegerator - My DIY Fermentation Chamber - My DIY Portable Pump Box

Old 08-17-2009, 07:25 PM   #89
McBrewski
Recipes 

I'm brewing the Thunderstruck Pumpkin Ale on Wednesday.

Old 08-17-2009, 07:28 PM   #90
masonsjax
Professional Amateur
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 285 Times on 208 Posts
Likes Given: 282

I made my pumpkin ale yesterday. Here's the recipe as brewed:

Quote:
Batch Size (Gal): 6.00
Total Grain (Lbs): 12.75
Anticipated OG: 1.057
Anticipated SRM: 17.0
Anticipated IBU: 23.0
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75 %
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

9.50 lbs. Pale Malt US 2-row
0.50 lbs. Victory Malt
1.00 lbs. Crystal 55L
1.00 lbs. Munich Malt Light
0.50 lbs. Crystal 120L
0.25 lbs. Chocolate Malt 350L
1.00 lbs. Rice Hulls

30 oz. Canned Pumpkin Puree

0.75 oz. Northern Brewer (GR) 8.90% 60 min.
0.25 tsp Ginger (Ground) 5 min
0.25 tsp Cloves (Ground) 5 min
0.50 tsp Nutmeg (Ground) 5 min
1.50 tsp Cinnamon (Ground) 5 min
1.00 tsp Vanilla Extract 0 min (chill to 170 then add)

Safale S-05 Yeast (use a less attenuating yeast next time, and mash at 156)

Bake the pumpkin on a cookie sheet at 350F ~45 mins, mix and re-spread every 15 mins.
Mash grain, rice hulls, and pumpkin.
Strike with ~4.5 gallons; stir thoroughly. Mash at 158F for 60 mins.
Double batch sparge. Collect ~7 gallons. Boil 60 mins.
The sparge was a little slower than usual, but not too bad. I use a cooler with SS braid. I think the rice hulls helped. There was very little pumpkin trub that made it into the kettle, but I could taste it in the wort. I hit all the numbers right on. Since the OG calculation didn't include any sugars from the pumpkin, I'm not sure if I had poor grain efficiency, or there just weren't any sugars to be had from the pumpkin. This was also my first batch with my new barley crusher, so the crush might not be ideal just yet. I had a fresh US-05 cake that I racked onto, otherwise I would have used something that attenuates a little less. I mashed at 158F to try and make up for that. Next time I'll use an english yeast or something. I would probably cut back some of the crystal malt next time too. This grain bill was purchased to do an Amber ale based on a Jamil recipe, before I changed my mind. The finished wort smelled and tasted pretty good, and I'm looking forward to my first pint.

I aim to misbehave.

Quick Reply