Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Pumpkin beers: Discussion, developing recipes, tips tricks, and a good practices

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2009, 07:36 PM   #71
absolutbmc
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boerderij_Kabouter View Post
bummer. I am not brewing this weekend Mine will have to wait.
Thats a bummer

Thanks -
Brian

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2009, 07:38 PM   #72
EuBrew
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by absolutbmc View Post
what is the benefit of baking the canned pumpkin??? How long should it be baked? 30mins at 350?
A lot of things I've read when researching this suggest roasting at 350 for an hour to get some carmalization going but I'm a newb so don't trust me, that's why i posted here in case someone that actually knows what they are doing thinks I'm way off base.
Secondary 1: empty
Secondary 2: empty
Secondary 3: empty

Kegged: New Belgium Ranger IPA Clone attempt #1
Bottled Southern Tier Pumking Clone

Planned: EdWort's haus pale ale
CBC Bodhi IPA

I may be naive but I make up for that with inexperience!!

Old 08-14-2009, 07:38 PM   #73
k2brew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Eubrew, I think that looks pretty good and I am with you on trying to keep the trub down by mashing and not boiling.

My only thought regarding spices is that it's better to have subtle notes then a bombshell of spice. Granted this is personal opinion of SWMBO, I mean my opinion. I think that this usually makes it more accessible for other drinkers as well. However, I tend to take the approach of brew a batch taste, modify on next batch (this is my first pumpkin so I'm going a little light on the spice).

Is that a boxer?

My understanding is that you bake the pumpkin to get some carmalization of the sugars.

K2 Brews
President & CEO... also Lead Taster!

On-Deck 1 => Oktoberfest
Primary 1 => Blonde Ale
Secondary 1 =>
Drinking => Doppelweizenbock, Apfelwein, Fuggly Blonde, Oktoberfest, Dunkelweizen

Old 08-14-2009, 07:49 PM   #74
EuBrew
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by k2brew View Post
Eubrew, I think that looks pretty good and I am with you on trying to keep the trub down by mashing and not boiling.

My only thought regarding spices is that it's better to have subtle notes then a bombshell of spice. Granted this is personal opinion of SWMBO, I mean my opinion. I think that this usually makes it more accessible for other drinkers as well. However, I tend to take the approach of brew a batch taste, modify on next batch (this is my first pumpkin so I'm going a little light on the spice).

Is that a boxer?

My understanding is that you bake the pumpkin to get some carmalization of the sugars.
I looked at as many recipes as I could stand and scaled the average for a 5 back to 2.5 but you're right, rather not have it kick me in the junk errrr nose....

I think I'll do half in the boil and add the other half in secondary as a tea if it needs more oomph.

Yeah, he's a boxer. My little 70lb tard thinks he weighs 7 lbs!!
Secondary 1: empty
Secondary 2: empty
Secondary 3: empty

Kegged: New Belgium Ranger IPA Clone attempt #1
Bottled Southern Tier Pumking Clone

Planned: EdWort's haus pale ale
CBC Bodhi IPA

I may be naive but I make up for that with inexperience!!

Old 08-14-2009, 07:58 PM   #75
k2brew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

From the first post - from the Lakefront brewery
"For a five gallon batch, this equals only .016 pounds of pumpkin pie spice, .011 pounds of cinnamon, and .003 pounds of nutmeg.) Obviously, the spices you add are very limited in quantity."

From the New Holland Brewery (Note: I love their Pumpkin Ale)

As they are doing a lightly hopped beer "More important are the spices. We use ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves. I recommend spicing with 30 or less minutes left in the boil. Add it before this and you’ll boil away flavor and, most importantly, aroma."

I have a 65lb 1 year old Flashy Fawn who is a very pathetic lap dog. He is also kind of a jerk who has recently started talking back at us... Brewing has gotten in the way of training.

K2 Brews

On-Deck 1 => Oktoberfest
Primary 1 => Blonde Ale
Secondary 1 =>
Drinking => Doppelweizenbock, Apfelwein, Fuggly Blonde, Oktoberfest, Dunkelweizen

Old 08-14-2009, 08:03 PM   #76
jfowler1
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Devil's advocate time

My .02

I brewed my first pumpkin ale about three months ago, and I am planning on bottling it tonight. Granted, it may taste like garbage, so I can only contribute to the process. However, I can tell you that my brew day went very smooth, and the color and clarity are very good after sitting in the carboy for 3 weeks. I have the recipe at home, but it was basically Jamil's pumpkin spice beer scaled to 6%ABV for my system. The recipe measured the color at 11 SRM.

The pumpkin.
First, I skipped the pumpkin in the mash. I was at Smuttynose in NH earlier this year and I asked them about their pumpkin beer. It is one of my favorite examples of the style. They said they just bake the canned pumpkin for 1 hour and add it to the boil. I followed their advice. Simply, pumpkin has no flavor and very little smell. If anything, it just smells and tastes like squash. I wanted a beer that tasted like pumpkin pie, not a beer that tastes like zucchini. Please note, I was not under the dilusion that baking would somehow convert the pumpkin either. The grain bill provided all the fermentables I needed. Why did I add pumpkin at all? I just do not think it can be called a pumpkin beer if there was no pumpkin in the recipe. Shipyard uses no pumpkin in their Pumpkinhead. In fact, it is just a spice extract. That really pissed me off. I used one 15 oz can for a 5g batch, just so I could look at myself in the mirror the next day. In fact, I gave the baking dish a couple shakes of pumpkin pie spice when it was in the oven. I thought Thanksgiving came early.

The spice.
I used 1/2 tsp of "pumpkin pie spice" at 1 minute. I agree that you get more aroma at flame out, but I wanted the boil to kick things around a bit. I thought about doing a type of dry-spice addition in the fermenter, but since this is my first attempt, I wanted to stick with less-is-more. I think it is important to remember when you formulate a recipe; make a good beer first, and then spice it. Too many people are putting the pumpkin and spice issues first, and the grain and hop bill second. The resulting threads are all about stuck/failed sparges and over-spiced beer. My goal is a nice amber beer that you drink and think to yourself, "This is a good beer, and it tastes a little like pumpkin pie".

Finally- it has been said before, but you will have a ton of junk in the bottom of your fermenter after 3 weeks. I will probably come up just short of two cases of bottled beer, so plan accordingly.

Old 08-14-2009, 08:13 PM   #77
k2brew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Boerderij_Kabouter, I would definitely be up for a Pumpkin Swap if there are people interested.

jfowler1, ie devil's advocate, your post very accurately reflects my brewing philosophy. Make a sure you have a good beer and then tinker with it. Regarding your junk... which I have heard is ugly and smells like squash... this is why I'm going to do a partial mash and not put the pumpkin in the boil (fingers crossed) hopefully this will keep the trub to a reasonable level.

General thought; after rereading some of the earlier posts I'm not convinced that baking the canned pumpkin is necessary (although I will probably still do it) it only seems really necessary when you are using fresh pumpkin.

K2 Brews

On-Deck 1 => Oktoberfest
Primary 1 => Blonde Ale
Secondary 1 =>

Old 08-14-2009, 08:15 PM   #78
Boerderij_Kabouter

Recipes 

Liked 119 Times on 103 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I did not bake my pumpkin on my first attempt. I will this year because it is an easy step and I don't think it can hurt.

Old 08-14-2009, 10:37 PM   #79
masonsjax
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 302 Times on 219 Posts
Likes Given: 301

If you were to bake pumpkin puree, mixing it up periodically, until it was mostly dried out, could that prevent it from sticking up the sparge, or do you think it would just turn back into goop as soon as strike water hits it?

PS. An experienced brewer friend suggested that if you plan to add vanilla extract, you should wait until after the boil and add it once chilled to between 170-180F or cooler, otherwise it will mostly cook away.

Reason: note re: vanilla

Old 08-14-2009, 11:48 PM   #80
blackshirtproud
Recipes 

I too am wanting to brew me up some pumpkin ale. I absolutely love Buffalo Bills version and would be tickled s#@tles if anything I produced was close.
My question is, Does anybody think that a Belgian Blonde wound be a terrible base and then come up with a spice note?
What made me think that was the biscuit note of Fat Tire.
Well, what do you all think?

Mulva?

Quick Reply