Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Pumpkin beers: Discussion, developing recipes, tips tricks, and a good practices

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2009, 01:13 PM   #31
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2733 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

I don't know if I'm realistically going to ride the pumpkin boat either this year. With mom stuff going on and all. I would love to do the partigyle again, but would really love to do it as two 5gallon batches instead of the split 5 gallon partigyle I did last year, but I'd need to borrow someone's larger system to be able to do it.

And if I don't get it done by labor day, I might as well forget it.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

scogan9 Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2009, 02:42 PM   #32
jacksonbrown
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I was just planning my pumpkin brew day this morning, I'll be cooking on the 21st. I brewed Yuri's Thunderstruck Pumpkin Ale last year with pretty solid results. Wife and friends loved it. I enjoyed it. It took about three months to come in to its own, so I figure I'll have it read for T-givin' this year. My notes said to lower the IBUs and clove and add more cinnamon. So I'm dropping this to 20 IBU from 25, cutting the amount of clove in about half, and adding an extra stick of cinnamon. I might play around with some allspice, we'll see. Hooray beer!

PS - what kind of yeat is everyone using? I used 1056 last year, but would like use a maltier profile one this year. Thoughts? Suggestions?

Primary: German Alt
Bottled: Kolch, German Hefeweizen
On tap: 60/- Light Scottish Ale

Last edited by jacksonbrown; 08-12-2009 at 02:50 PM.

Old 08-12-2009, 02:57 PM   #33
KingBrianI
Recipes 

Liked 78 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonbrown View Post

PS - what kind of yeat is everyone using? I used 1056 last year, but would like use a maltier profile one this year. Thoughts? Suggestions?
I'll be using denny's favorite 50. It is supposed to make a really velvety beer with lots of malt coming through without finishing too sweet. Sounds like a good match to me.

I'm too lazy and have too many beers going to keep updating this!

Old 08-12-2009, 03:04 PM   #34
Boerderij_Kabouter

Recipes 

Liked 119 Times on 103 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Just wanted to say that the brewbuilder is pretty cool from brewmaster's warehouse. Here is my recipe:
Boerderij Kabouter Pumpkin Lager II // Brewmasters Warehouse

Old 08-12-2009, 03:05 PM   #35
Hambone
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

After reading about Revy's trouble with using a carboy as his primary, I'm wondering what would be a better primary? I have the option of using a 6 gallon carboy or using my 5 gallon Pail Ale. Should I use the 5 gallon bucket for primary then the carboy for secondary, or vice versa? Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Old 08-12-2009, 03:10 PM   #36
conpewter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I'll be brewing one sometime this fall, I'll let it age a year, I had a pumpkin beer from '07 that was just wonderful, the '08 had more vegetal flavor (this was back this winter).

I plan to mash in a pumpkin and thinking of fermenting in one. Not sure how long it would stand up to boiling (using an electric element). I'm growing my own pumpkins for this, atlantic giants.

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

Primary: Nothin
Secondary: Shady Lord RIS, Water to Barleywine, Pumpkin wine, burnt mead
Kegged: Crappy infected mild
Bottles: Apfelwein, 999 Barleywine, Oatmeal Stout, Robust Porter, Robust smoked porter, Simcoe Smash

Old 08-12-2009, 03:19 PM   #37
leavitt87
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hambone View Post
Should I use the 5 gallon bucket for primary then the carboy for secondary, or vice versa? Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
If you're making a 5 gallon batch, the 5 gallon Ale Pail might be a little tight for primary fermentation. I always try to use the largest container for the primary. A plastic bucket is more permeable to oxygen but I don't think it's a big deal unless you plan to leave the beer in secondary for an extended period of time. If you're only options are the 6 gallon carboy & 5 gallon bucket, I'd use the carboy for primary and bucket for secondary, IMHO.

Old 08-12-2009, 03:53 PM   #38
sleepystevenson
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts

My only advice: Go easy on the ginger.

I made a pumpkin ale a few years back. Undrinkable even after a year due to the medicinal flavor / aroma of (i think) the ginger. I followed a recipe from BYO, but the fresh ginger root I used was just too powerful. Didn't take much, either. Think Pumpkin NyQuil....or some other cough syrup....

Hmmmm.....maybe I outta open one of those pumpkin ales and see how 2+ years has mellowed 'er out. If I recall it was a really high ABV....so, you never know!

Anyway, that's all I got.

Last edited by sleepystevenson; 08-12-2009 at 03:55 PM.

Old 08-12-2009, 03:53 PM   #39
Hambone
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Thanks for the quick response (I love this forum). That's what I had originally planned so I'll stick with it. I might even get another 5 gallon BB for secondary this weekend. Then I can use it to make more Apfelwine!

Old 08-12-2009, 11:39 PM   #40
masonsjax
Professional Amateur
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 300 Times on 217 Posts
Likes Given: 295

I was planning a 5 gal batch of simple American Amber Ale for this Sunday, but this thread has convinced me to try a pumpkin ale. Here's the changes I was thinking:
- A single hops addition to about 20 IBU
- Bake some canned pumpkin and add it to the mash
- Boil (a sliver of) Ginger, and Cinnamon, Cloves, Allspice, Nutmeg

I've read a ton of recipes and they all call for different amounts of pumpkin (7.5oz - 4lbs), and spices, and added at different times. I'm thinking the less pumpkin the better, but I would like to taste it. I guess I'll try (1) 15oz can and see how that works. With the spices, would dry hopping with them be too much? I'll probably go with the recommended amounts in Yuri's recipe, with the adjustments that jacksonbrown suggested.

Here's what I've come up with, please let me know what you think.

Quote:
Batch Size (Gal): 6.00
Total Grain (Lbs): 12.75
Anticipated OG: 1.057
Anticipated SRM: 17.0
Anticipated IBU: 23.0
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75 %
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

9.50 lbs. Pale Malt US 2-row
0.50 lbs. Victory Malt
1.00 lbs. Crystal 55L
1.00 lbs. Munich Malt Light
0.50 lbs. Crystal 120L
0.25 lbs. Chocolate Malt 350L

15 oz. Canned Pumpkin Puree

0.75 oz. Northern Brewer (GR) 8.90% 60 min.
0.25 oz Ginger Root 15 min
0.25 tsp Cloves (Crushed) 5 min
0.50 tsp Nutmeg 5 min
1.00 tsp Allspice 5 min
1.50 tsp Cinnamon (Ground) 5 min

Safale S-05 Yeast

Bake the pumpkin on a cookie sheet at 350F until starts to brown (20-30 mins).
Mash at 158 for 60 mins
Boil 60 mins.

I aim to misbehave.

Last edited by masonsjax; 08-13-2009 at 12:09 AM. Reason: Post my recipe attempt

Quick Reply