The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Pumpkin Ale for the holidays

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2007, 04:03 PM   #1
its02003
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Pumpkin Ale for the holidays

So my next brew is going to be a pumpkin ale (ingredients may be modified if the current batch comes out poor)

Desired Recipe at the moment:

Malts:

6 lbs of Northern Brewer Amber Liquid Malt Extract (full boil for 60 minutes)
still to decide amount of 60L crytal steeped for 15 minutes (155-170 degrees)

Hops:

2 oz of willamette leaf (full boil for 50 minutes
2 oz of hallertau leaf (end of boil)

Yeast:

American Ale Activator Wyeast

Extras:

Pumpkin from a can : added to boil at 30 minutes
Tbsp of vanilla: added to boil at 55 minutes
Pumpkin Pie Spice: added to boil at 5 minutes

Should produce a fairly full beer with good (but not overpowering) hop taste (as neither of the varieties of hops i will be using are known for great bitterness)

Suggestions?

In response to the thread: 6x beer buddy larger mix (which I'm not sure anyone knows what it means/is)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonRock View Post
I hate to sound stupid, but what is it that you are trying to sell? I'm sure I don't have one yet, but maybe I need one.
Brew Stand Pickup Tube Sight Glass Counter Flow Chiller Mash Manifold

Recipes:

Planning an Irish Red
Planning a Celebration Ale Clone

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2007, 05:30 PM   #2
its02003
Recipes 

Approvals?

In response to the thread: 6x beer buddy larger mix (which I'm not sure anyone knows what it means/is)

Quote:
I hate to sound stupid, but what is it that you are trying to sell? I'm sure I don't have one yet, but maybe I need one.

Recipes:

Planning an Irish Red

Old 10-09-2007, 06:32 PM   #3
mrkristofo

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I'm formulating a recipe right now, too, but from everything I've read using pumpkin from a can is ill-advised. Best to use 3-4lbs of pie pumpkins (the 6-8" diameter ones). Cook the meat in the oven for 1hr at 325, then do a partial mash. I'm hoping to finalize my recipe be the end of the day today...I'll post it up here if you want.

Conditioning: Dead Guy Ale clone, Double-Dubbel
Drinking: Not for a while

Old 10-09-2007, 06:38 PM   #4
its02003
Recipes 

That would be great!

I have been trying to decide between whole sugar pumpkins (pie) or can pumpkin. And since i don't plan on brewing this until say Nov., i'm just not sure if pie pumpkins with be readily available.

I look forward to seeing the recipe!

Quote:

Recipes:

Planning an Irish Red

Old 10-09-2007, 07:10 PM   #5
e lo

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Pumpkin from a can is fine, as long as it has no preservatives added. Libby's is a popular choice, and is what I used in my (slightly modified) version of Old Pumpculiar that I brewed a couple of weekends ago. I drank my gravity sample at racking to secondary, and it's darn tasty. Nice pumpkin-y orange color, with a noticeable, but not overpowering, pumpkin flavor. 3 15oz cans in a 5 gallon batch seemed to work out well. You'll lose a fair amount in trub when you rack to secondary, so be forewarned.

Old 10-10-2007, 03:40 AM   #6
dmorris3333
Recipes 

Default Pumpkin Beer

I just brewed a pumpkin ale myself. I used two cans of pumpkin. E Lo is right that you will lose some beer as the pumpkin settles in the bottom of the fermenter and makes it hard to siphon. I like the looks of your recipe, but I would recommend that you try the pumpkin spice before you brew with it. I have read of some people using pumpkin spice and not being happy with the blend. Some blends have a bit more clove flavor than you might want. I ended up using 1 tbsp of cinnamon, 1 tsp of nutmeg, and 1 tsp of allspice. It tasted pretty good when I bottled. 6 lbs of LME sounds about right. I used 6 lbs of DME and filled the fermenter up to about 5.5 gallons to make up for what I was going to lose when siphoning.

Good luck with the beer.

Old 10-10-2007, 11:38 AM   #7
its02003
Recipes 

Since this is a holiday beer, i was going to put a little more LME in the wort to try to suck a little extra % alch out of it. I'm thinking of sticking with 6 lbs or so of the amber LME and adding another (maybe 3 lbs) of a lighter one to give the yeast a few extra things to snack on. Ive never known of anyone to complain about a stong beer around the holidays.

My last batch i primed with corn sugar (from the kit) and everything i have read since then tells me that this one i will be priming using DME. Any suggestions of what type to use? Should i stick with the amber?

I was worried about the spice and the taste it would impart upon the beer and i had contemplated going with just the nutmeg and the cinnamon but i will definately add an equal part allspice and see how i like it.

I dont think i will be using any lactose as that additive doesnt really appeal to me.

Has anyone ever used the LME from Breiss through Midwest?
Thats what i plan on using.

Does this sound good? Does it sound like too many hops?
I have a batch bottle conditioning right now that i used 1oz of willamette and 1 oz of hallertau for and i dont think its hoppy enough (its an oktoberfest) so i was going to double the hops, but once its done in the bottles, those numbers might change.

Quote:

Recipes:

Planning an Irish Red

Old 10-10-2007, 11:41 AM   #8
its02003
Recipes 

I'm also thinking of going with 12 oz of caramel 60L grains for the steeping.

Quote:

Recipes:

Planning an Irish Red

Old 10-10-2007, 01:37 PM   #9
gonzoflick

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

My try at the Great Pumpkenweizen is now two weeks in bottles and so good I can drink it easily at room temperature.. in fact I prefer this brew warmish. I used 7lb of Wheat DME and 2x2lb cans of 100% pumpkin. UMMM GOOOD

On tap: NOTHING

Quick Reply