Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Pumpkin Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2007, 09:53 PM   #1
Brentk14
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Pumpkin Ale

I am pretty new to brewing beer. I have done 3 batches, a hef, a pale and a kolsch style beer. I now want to try a pumpkin ale, and i was wondering if anyone knew how to add a creamy texture or taste to it. Im kinda going for a pumkin pie you can drink. I am thinking of using vanilla bean but let me know if you guys have any other advice. Thanks

Brent

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-08-2007, 10:15 PM   #2
Sir Humpsalot
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 22

First, much of the flavor of pumpkin pie is actually in the spices. So I would plan on a spiced pumpkin ale if you want a "pumpkin pie" taste.

Secondly, I recommend a high mash temp, if you are doing AG. That will give you more mouthfeel. If you are doing Extract batches, then try steeping a pound of carapils for some mouthfeel.

Old 08-08-2007, 11:15 PM   #3
Beerrific

Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Might try http://www.austinhomebrew.com/produc...ducts_id=10886
I don't think this includes pumpkin but you could trow a can into the boil, won't hurt anything.

I have never done this kit but I can't say I have ever heard anyone say anything bad about AHS's kits. Add the carapils for the mouth feel, you could also use wheat or oats. Also, adjusting your carbonation to lower than what you would normally use will help it feel creamier.

Old 08-09-2007, 03:04 PM   #4
Saint Arnould
Recipes 

Also, you could experiment with a pound of lactose. I did a cream stout a while back, and this is what contributed to a sweet, "creamy" finish...although I don't know how that would translate to a punkin ale. Still a noob here! Take my advice with a grain of salt....

Old 08-09-2007, 03:32 PM   #5
timeforchili
Recipes 

Default wind tunnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint Arnould
Also, you could experiment with a pound of lactose. I did a cream stout a while back, and this is what contributed to a sweet, "creamy" finish...although I don't know how that would translate to a punkin ale. Still a noob here! Take my advice with a grain of salt....
Be careful with the lactose, i used less than 1/2 lb and it made my batch way too sweet for my taste and the wife wont let me have anymore of it b/c upon consumption of 22 oz, i could blow the sheets off the bed. If you want "creamy" use a pound of oats and toss in 4-6oz of maltodextrine. Also it's been my experience that with pumpkin pie spice, more is always better because it seems to fade quickly.

Quick Reply