Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Pumpkin Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-13-2011, 08:52 PM   #1
KellyK
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Default Pumpkin Ale

Seeking those of you who have brewed delicious pumpkin ale. I'm getting ready to brew one this weekend. My primary question is that many of the recipes I am finding are stating to use canned 100% pumpking or whole fresh pumpkin and NOT canned "pumpkin pie." But there are no explainations given for why canned pumpkin pie (which is just canned pumpkin with the spices already mixed in) is not acceptable. Obviously you would need to take into account that it has already been spiced when making spice additions, but is there another reason for this disclaimer?

If anyone has a kick butt recipe for pumpkin ale that they are willing to post up, I'd love to take a look at it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2011, 10:46 PM   #2
integra93ls
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts

Brewing mine as I type.
It's the ahs pumking ale. Heard its good. I used 3 cans of libbys 100% pinpoint. 90 oz total and baked for 1 hr with brown sugar on top. Put into mash and I'm boiling now. Almost done. Came with spice packet and I took out almost all the Orange perks that were in it.( heard ppl don't like the taste). Also added 1tsp of cinnamon, 1/2 tsp nutmeg and 1 1/2 tsp vanilla .. pre boil tasted good. I'll let u know when I cool it.

Old 09-13-2011, 10:53 PM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2774 Times on 1659 Posts
Likes Given: 3488

It's probably only one of those stupid brewer's rules that have no basis in fact but has just bcome standard practice and noone bother's to look into why.

The only reason I can think of for not using pie filling is that it already contains spices, and we mght prefer to spice it ourselves the way we want....

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 09-13-2011, 10:58 PM   #4
cinderbike
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Yep, Revvy is probably right. Just like I buy unsalted butter etc. I want things MY way.

Old 09-14-2011, 12:14 AM   #5
jonmohno
Recipes 

Liked 410 Times on 361 Posts
Likes Given: 1210

Doesnt it have sugar in it? i used a prespiced can and noticed that it had a good load of sugar,take that into consideration also. I used that one late in the boil and i though the spices were a little too much, i usually just use a plain can of pupmkin and my own amout of spice now, i usually dont like adding sugar to my beers very often.Because of the sugar and the small batch size i had it had a strange taste for a while that mellowed out after months.

Old 09-14-2011, 12:41 AM   #6
integra93ls
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts

After cooling. Down the wort I took a sample and it had a Awsome pumpking taste. I hope it stays like that when its done..

Old 09-14-2011, 02:21 AM   #7
fastricky
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

I'm really curious about using pie filling, but it does have a fair bit of sugar in it...

Quick Reply