New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Pubstitute Scotch/English Session Porter??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2012, 10:53 PM   #11
pwkblue
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14thstreet View Post
This is probably a guess as I haven't had the beer myself (out of town) but having followed the brewmaster on Shut Up About Barclay Perkins and elsewhere, I suspect it's a rather simple recipe. I am not saying your recipe is wrong or that it would turn out horrible. Not my intent.

My notes suggest its: 94% pale malt (MO or GP or another similar pale), 3% crystal 120L and 3% roasted barley. Probably the keys to the brew is using a small single dose of low AA% hops somewhere earlier or at 60 minutes in a 4 hour boil. That's right, a 4 hour boil. They may not also use the Scottish yeast. You could always email the brewery and see if they open the kimono for you, or, offer some suggestions.
I agree...my initial research didn't include much information, so I was just taking a shot at a grain bill based on the description. I have since learned the beer is intended to be a "Scottish 60 Shilling" and since the brewer Kristen England seems to prefer brewing historically and stylistically accurate recipes...your suggestion is probably closer.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply