Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Pros Cons, Like Dislikes, When to use, juices/fruits

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2010, 06:45 PM   #1
Bruiserbrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Pros Cons, Like Dislikes, When to use, juices/fruits

Do you like using fruits or juices? does it add a lot? What are the pros and cons? When do you use them, what step? I really like wheat beers, thus the reason for asking. Thanks a lot, appreciate it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2010, 02:34 AM   #2
Suthrncomfrt1884
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 3

If I'm going to use fruit...it's fresh. I usually add to the secondary. Just don't use those fruit extracts or flavorings that you can get at the grocery store or sometimes your LHBS. 90% of the time, they'll either taste like, or smell like the fruit you want. It won't do both.

Another HERMS rig...

Old 01-12-2010, 01:43 PM   #3
cdburg
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

If you haven't already heard it, you might listen to the "Jamil Show" podcast on Fruit Beers:

http://thebrewingnetwork.com/shows/The-Jamil-Show/Fruit-Beers-The-Jamil-Show-04-24-06

He covers many of the questions you ask and other information about making good fruit beers.

Old 01-12-2010, 07:32 PM   #4
kanzimonson
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 25 Posts

One thing I didn't prepare myself for when making fruit beers is how weird fruit tastes without concomitant sweetness. I made a peach wheat with 5# of fresh peaches added to the secondary. Once the yeast consumed the sugars, the beer was left with this awesome peachy aroma, but each sip had this insanely gaggy, melon-like, roundness that would have been great had there been more sugars in there. Also, the peaches added SOOOOOO much acidity - I was not expecting all that tartness.

Still, good learning experience - I'll just know to use some serious crystal and carapils next time.

P.S. Cherry extract sucks.

Quick Reply