New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Problem with LHBS recipe. Anyone have this kinda stuff happen?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2008, 05:53 PM   #1
Anthony_Lopez
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Problem with LHBS recipe. Anyone have this kinda stuff happen?

So this weekend we brewed a Kolsch from a shop we haven't used yet. They were a little closer than our brew shop and about the same prices.

The recipe for the Kolsch called out an OG of ~1.045 based off the ingredients for the recipe. Using the beer calculus page, we put in our ingredients and got a ~1.056. To me this seems like quite a gap between his recipe OG and our OG. I don't believe there is any other way to get the gravity readings except the basic math involved in the ingredients.

We used:
3.3 lb Light LME
3 lb Light DME
1 lb Pilsner

1 oz Tetnanger Bittering Hops at 3.5% for 60 minutes
1 oz Hallertau Aroma at 4.5% for the last 10 minutes

We also had 1 bag irish moss that was in the boil for the last 20 minutes.

It was a 5 gallon batch with a 10 minute mini-mash at 160 degree F for the pilsner grain. 60 minute total boil with the above ingredients.

Our OG came out to exactly where we wanted to be with the beer calculus page. ~ 1.052.

Anyone else have trouble with calculated recipes from stores compared to beer calculators? The guy didnt really seem to have his act together, and had some equipment at outrageous prices.

Sorry for the essay!

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy.
--Tom Waits

You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer.
--Frank Zappa

My Cheap and Easy Stirplate

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2008, 08:14 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2660 Times on 1605 Posts
Likes Given: 3451

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoClueBrewMaster
So this weekend we brewed a Kolsch from a shop we haven't used yet. They were a little closer than our brew shop and about the same prices.

The recipe for the Kolsch called out an OG of ~1.045 based off the ingredients for the recipe. Using the beer calculus page, we put in our ingredients and got a ~1.056. To me this seems like quite a gap between his recipe OG and our OG. I don't believe there is any other way to get the gravity readings except the basic math involved in the ingredients.

We used:
3.3 lb Light LME
3 lb Light DME
1 lb Pilsner

1 oz Tetnanger Bittering Hops at 3.5% for 60 minutes
1 oz Hallertau Aroma at 4.5% for the last 10 minutes

We also had 1 bag irish moss that was in the boil for the last 20 minutes.

It was a 5 gallon batch with a 10 minute mini-mash at 160 degree F for the pilsner grain. 60 minute total boil with the above ingredients.

Our OG came out to exactly where we wanted to be with the beer calculus page. ~ 1.052.

Anyone else have trouble with calculated recipes from stores compared to beer calculators? The guy didnt really seem to have his act together, and had some equipment at outrageous prices.

Sorry for the essay!
I'm not sure about the answer to your question....Try running the same numbers through tastybrew, just in case beer calculus was off...

You added an entire bag of Irish Moss in your boil? Generally you use only 1 tsp per 5 gallon batch.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 03-17-2008, 08:16 PM   #3
Donasay
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Is this by any chance a 6 gallon recipe as opposed to a 5 gallon recipe, this is important to know, a high OG is usually because it is not diluted enough.

No matter how rich you are, you can still only drink 16 or 17 liters of beer a day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quixotic View Post
The true definition of an addiction: not stopping even when a dog is having his way with you.:D
http://www.solutionsinmetal.com/

Old 03-18-2008, 01:48 AM   #4
Anthony_Lopez
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

no, by one bag of moss, i meant tsp, sorry for the confusion.

As far as batch size goes, this guys recipe was for a 5 gallon recipe. Seems a little high of an OG for a kolsch. We bought this kit on a whim without doing a lot of research and I guess that was kinda our fault in trusting this guy and his recipes.

I'll check out tastybrew. thanks for the link

--Tom Waits

You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer.
--Frank Zappa

Old 03-18-2008, 01:55 AM   #5
Anthony_Lopez
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Tasty Brew gave me the same calculations as Beer Calculus. I even tried playing around with the attenuation to see how close I could get to his numbers... 50% doesnt get us even close to his "planned" recipe. Still way off. Obviously I'm not going back to this shop again. I was just curious if others have found some brew shop's recipe calculations to be this far off... This guy's shop was supposed to be a great brew shop. I'm really disappointed.

--Tom Waits

--Frank Zappa

Old 03-18-2008, 02:01 AM   #6
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2660 Times on 1605 Posts
Likes Given: 3451

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoClueBrewMaster
Tasty Brew gave me the same calculations as Beer Calculus. I even tried playing around with the attenuation to see how close I could get to his numbers... 50% doesnt get us even close to his "planned" recipe. Still way off. Obviously I'm not going back to this shop again. I was just curious if others have found some brew shop's recipe calculations to be this far off... This guy's shop was supposed to be a great brew shop. I'm really disappointed.

The closest thing I heard was on here....The LHBS recalculated an AG recipe into an extract w/ special grains for a customer, but didn't give him a sheet for extract....He called the store and they gave him the numbers on the phone....which were slightly different because it was an extract.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 03-18-2008, 02:07 AM   #7
Beerrific

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I would not discount the shop just for this. I can think of a couple reasons why this could happen:

1. Their calculations are actually right and somehow your measurement was off (bad hydrometer, not well mixed, etc.).
2. They are right given a different brand of extract. The gravity potential for each brand of extract varies. You should take this in to account when using some type of beer program too.

Might not hurt to ask them too, maybe it is an oversight on their end, they might appreciate the input.

Old 03-18-2008, 02:10 AM   #8
Beerthoven

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

I put those ingredients into BeerSmith and got an OG of 1.045 for a 5.5 gallon batch. Changing to a 5 gallon batch gives an OG of 1.050. So, I don't think that LHBS was as far off the mark as you might think. Maybe give 'em another shot?

Primary/Secondary: #105 APA, #106 American Wheat

Kegged: #102 Brown, #103 Red, #104 ESB

Planned: IPA, Northern English Brown

Old 03-18-2008, 02:13 AM   #9
DeathBrewer
Maniacally Malty

Recipes 

Liked 199 Times on 110 Posts

yeah, i was thinking maybe they made the recipe for a 5 gallon YIELD and just didn't have the best instructions?

no reason you can't go back to the place. i wouldn't judge a store just by their kits...have them help you create a beer and see how knowledgeable they are

"Death is always with us." - Brewpastor

Quote:
DIAICYLF
We will remember...

Old 03-18-2008, 02:36 AM   #10
EvilTOJ

Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I honestly don't see what the big deal is about the OG. I don't think I've ever considered what the OG of a recipe is unless I'm looking for a big beer style. You know, there is another way to calculate the OG. I've heard of these hydrometer things.... So what, you ran it through your beer calculus page and got different numbers. I ran it through promash and got 1.054 as an OG. Sounds about right for a 5% beer. I'd just leave it be and not worry about it. In fact, I'll bet it's quite easy to accidentally type 1.045 instead of 1.054.

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Quick Reply