Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2010, 02:38 PM   #1
SoopirV900
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance...

I love fall, especially now that we live in the desert southwest: we drop out of the triple digits and I get to golf again. So I got myself all excited with the approaching autumnal holidays and decided last weekend to brew a "fall-y" beer. It's a wheat that sits on 3lbs of cranberries, 2 oranges and 2 apples, all macerated together in secondary.
I guess I thought for a second that I was back east, where cranberries seemed to be available year round...but now I've got a wheat that needs to be racked and I don't have the ingredients to finish it. There are some specialty stores in town that may have them, but $$$!

So- do you all think it'd be okay to rack to secondary (dry, no fruit) and "age" (stall) until the dang berries find their way into our local market? At that point I would rack again onto the fruit and pretend none of this ever happened...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2010, 03:57 PM   #2
Blackgaurd_Brewing
Recipes 

I think you would be fine to move to secondary and add the fruit later, assuming your headspace is not to large.

As an alternative: Craisins are dried cranberries, probably would absorb some beer but they are delicious, I am unsure if they have any preservatives.

Old 08-26-2010, 01:19 AM   #3
RIBeer
Recipes 

Cranberries aren't even available here in New England yet - I think they are just starting the harvest. We always make Cranberry Walnut jam each year, and have been keeping an eye out for their appearence. Unfortunately, rhubarb has just dropped out of season, so no more Strawberry Rhubarb jam or pies this year...

You might want to check around and see if anyone carries frozen cranberries....

Old 08-26-2010, 09:08 PM   #4
jlpred55
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I believe you forgot a "P". The 7 P's of business management and beer making. Proper Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Peformance.

Kegged: Millenium Galaxy IPA, German Pilsner. Apricot Blonde Ale, ACE Witbier, ACE American Wheat.
Bottled: Smoked Red Rye, Old Tanglefoot Barleywine, Tripel, Dubbel, American Farmhouse Ale

Old 08-26-2010, 09:12 PM   #5
motobrewer
I'm no atheist scientist, but...
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 220 Times on 192 Posts
Likes Given: 374

f*ck your couch, it was 57F this morning. i f-ing hate fall, it means our 3 months of summer is over.

Quick Reply