Priming a Yeti clone for bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dakota21601

Reaction score
Anyone have a successful priiming sugar amount for a 5 gal batch. I brewed a 9% 90 Minute IPA clone a few months ago and the 4.5oz dose I gave it to bottle way overcarbed it after a three week ferm. I really dont want that issue again so should I cut back to 3/3.5oz maybe on the Yeti? Seems like such a chess match. A buddy of mine did 2oz on a 7% Octoberfest and it is just right if not a little on the overcarb side. Is there a trick to knowing how its going to respond by the FG or something?

Hey,

Here's a good calculator from Norther Brewer
http://www.northernbrewer.com/priming-sugar-calculator/

With your big beers, or ones that come out with a high fg, there is a good chance of some residual sugars, if you are too quick to move it into bottle these sugars plus the primer will overcarbonate. If you have the capacity to condition for a week or two post fermentation you can usually avoid this one. The other problem with bottling too quickly is the dissolved co2 in solution, obviously this should be taken into account for your carbonation requirements.

Cheers

Great. That works for me. It does cut it back a little. Explain the dissolved CO2 and how to fig that in if u can. I ferm in primary for one and secondary for 2+ weeks before bottling. Thanks!

Dissolved CO2 is a hard one to gauge without lab equipment. basically I go on sensory. Pour a little into a tasting glass, if you see bubbles clinging to the side, or upon tasting can feel the sensation of CO2 on your tongue, wait a little longer before bottling.

Remember CO2 like most gasses dissolves more readily in cooler temps.

You sometimes have to use your judgement as a homebrewer as to how much you should factor dissolved CO2 into your equation. As a rule of thumb, I drop my priming sugar by 5-10% given the level of perceived CO2 I think is in my beer.

Good luck!

Back