New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Possible to extract brew a 20's lager?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2008, 10:51 PM   #1
Pugilist
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Default Possible to extract brew a 20's lager?

If any of you are familiar with the name Hensler Beer, it was brewed in Newark from the late 1800's until about the 1950's. My great grandfather and great uncle were both brewmasters there for quite a long time.
My nana is 85 and doing great. Over the holidays I told her I was getting back into homebrewing and she said she should try to find some of the old Hensler brewery documents for me.

If she could find vintage recipes for this beer, is it possible to calculate it down to small scale for extract batches? Is extract even a viable option, as I am sure they did it the "old fashioned way"? This would be a truly awesome experience, and I am but an amateur homebrewer!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2008, 11:32 PM   #2
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 130 Times on 124 Posts

Certainly and this is just the place to post old recipes. Any grain recipe can be converted to extract and almost all of the malts available back then have modern equivalents.

I made a 1906 Mild Ale last winter and the year before was Ben Franklin's 300th, so there was a nation-wide contest to re-create a tavern ale of that time. I don't know how close it was, but the batch I made was fantastic! Used a bunch of corn and some molasses.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 01-27-2008, 11:43 PM   #3
EinGutesBier
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugilist
If any of you are familiar with the name Hensler Beer, it was brewed in Newark from the late 1800's until about the 1950's. My great grandfather and great uncle were both brewmasters there for quite a long time.
My nana is 85 and doing great. Over the holidays I told her I was getting back into homebrewing and she said she should try to find some of the old Hensler brewery documents for me.

If she could find vintage recipes for this beer, is it possible to calculate it down to small scale for extract batches? Is extract even a viable option, as I am sure they did it the "old fashioned way"? This would be a truly awesome experience, and I am but an amateur homebrewer!
Wow, brewing some history has to be a heck of an experience. I don't know if it's top secret, but if it isn't, I'd be willing to give the recipe a shot as well. I've always wanted to try a beer that came before the BMCs.

Old 06-23-2011, 07:12 PM   #4
LortonValleyBrewing
Recipes 

Default Hensler Beer

Hello, I came up on your posting while looking for a Hensler recipe. I am descened from the Jacquillard family, part of the original Lorenz & Jacquillard brewery in Newark. Joseph Hensler took over the brewery later. The Jacquillards were brewing in the Alsace region of France before coming over.

I am an amateur home brewer in VA, and would love to make a beer that was made in the brewery that my family worked in. Were you able to come up with any?

Thanks for the interest!

Quick Reply