Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Possible cheap source of grain...need help with terminology

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2009, 05:00 PM   #1
cabot
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Possible cheap source of grain...need help with terminology

I just got off the phone with a health food store close by. I was hoping to get my 2row from them. I called up and asked for 2row and she immediately thought I wanted malt extract...after I got that cleared up, she asked if I want unhulled barley, or hulled barley...

this is where it got confusing.

I don't know what I want...am I looking to get straight barley? Does it have to be 'malted' before I use it? I have a grain crusher, so I assume unhulled barley is uncrushed barley? I can get the grain for .85/lb and my LHBS is selling it for 1.25/lb, so it's a significant savings for me. I just need to make sure I don't end up with 50lb of deer feed.

if I give her my order before 4pm today she'll have it by 4pm on Wednesday!

I appreciate any help you all can give! Thank you!

O'Maolagain Donegal Red

Go confindently in the direction of your dreams, live the life you imagined. - Henry David Thoreau

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2009, 05:02 PM   #2
DeathBrewer
Maniacally Malty
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 204 Times on 113 Posts

you need MALTED barley. i doubt you can get it from the health food store, but it might be a great source for some unmalted wheat.

"Death is always with us." - Brewpastor

Quote:
DIAICYLF
We will remember...

Old 01-05-2009, 05:04 PM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2733 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

You want MALTED barely...I'd be really surprised if a health food store carried it, since I believe, the only thing that it is used for is the production of alcohol....Malt extract can be used in cooking/baking and that's why they carry it..Though my understanding is the cooking extract may have a lot of adjuncts in it like corn syrup and may not be as pure as brewer's malt extract.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 01-05-2009, 05:09 PM   #4
cabot
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for the speedy replies! I called the woman back and told her I definitely need to be sure it is malted barley. She's going to do some research and call me back and see if she can get some. She is a health food store that also carries a small variety of beer making supplies. How knowledgeable she is I do not know, but we'll see what she comes up with. I'll have my fingers crossed. A twenty minute drive beats the snot out of $48 in shipping Thanks again guys!

O'Maolagain Donegal Red

Go confindently in the direction of your dreams, live the life you imagined. - Henry David Thoreau

Quick Reply