Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Porters and Stouts: Soy Sauce Flavor

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-28-2008, 05:56 AM   #1
Torchiest
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default Porters and Stouts: Soy Sauce Flavor

Okay, I'm drinking Breckenridge's Oatmeal Stout, and it's not bad, but not amazing, and I'm noticing this odd flavor. It's sorta roasty, but somewhat like soy sauce. I've tasted it before in porters, and I'm trying to figure out what causes it. Would it be considered an off-flavor, or is it from a particular grain, or what? It's really strange.

#48 Black Helicopter Porter #49 Pikemen Porter
Up Next:
#50 Imperious IPA
#51 Razz Buried

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2008, 09:41 AM   #2
Chris_Dog
Orange whip?
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have not had that particular beer so I am not sure. I would imagine that the flavor you are tasting is inherent in one of the dark roasted grains. Possibly Black Patent malt. Either way the robust porters that I have had are pretty smokey tasting.

Old 10-28-2008, 09:59 AM   #3
phissionkorps
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

No idea. I've gotten that flavor in young stouts/porters when made with extract. Maybe oxidation? I've had that particular beer before and I can't recall that flavor, but it has been probably about a year since I've had one, so maybe I just forgot. I think their vanilla porter is much better than the oatmeal stout.

Primary: star thistle traditional mead
Secondary: mango melomel, Biere de Garde, dark strong braggot, oud bruin, Paulaner clone, coffee RIS
Bottled: rye wit, sticke alt, Graetzer, Apfelwein, zeus SMaSH, APA

Old 10-28-2008, 12:27 PM   #4
Torchiest

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Yeah, I think I remember the soy sauce taste with Samual Smith's Taddy Porter, but I haven't had that beer in years. The Breckenridge Vanilla Porter is great, btw.

Up Next:
#50 Imperious IPA
#51 Razz Buried

Old 10-28-2008, 12:59 PM   #5
brewt00l
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

The last few times I had the Breckenridge Oatmeal Stout, I noticed a faint sour note near the finish that accentuated that soy flavor.

I've generally suspected that flavor was a combination of the dark grains, dark caramel malts, ph, some oxidation, ect. There is an interesting thread over on ratebeer that offered a suggestion that glutamate (a byproduct of yeast fermentation and primary source of the savory flavor of soy sauce) could be present in higher levels of the beers that have that soy sauce note. Glutamic acid - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia I'd be curious to see more info or know if there was any stock in the whole umami concept applied to these beers....

Old 10-28-2008, 04:20 PM   #6
Edcculus
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 38 Posts

What temperature is the beer?

I tend to taste a soy sauce flavor in stouts and porters when they are cold straight out of the fridge. By sheer luck, my friends and I were blessed by the great brewers of Terrapin with around 20 cases of their India Brown Ale (underfilled bottles that couldn't be sold). I'm the only one that drinks it now. They all call it the soy sauce beer.

Let one warm up on the counter for 10-15 minutes and see if you taste the same thing.

Old 10-29-2008, 05:29 PM   #7
Torchiest

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edcculus View Post
What temperature is the beer?

I tend to taste a soy sauce flavor in stouts and porters when they are cold straight out of the fridge. By sheer luck, my friends and I were blessed by the great brewers of Terrapin with around 20 cases of their India Brown Ale (underfilled bottles that couldn't be sold). I'm the only one that drinks it now. They all call it the soy sauce beer.

Let one warm up on the counter for 10-15 minutes and see if you taste the same thing.
Yes, they have been right out of the fridge. I'll try that idea tonight after work.
Up Next:
#50 Imperious IPA
#51 Razz Buried

Old 10-29-2008, 05:49 PM   #8
zoebisch01

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

A guy a while ago was asking about this. If you look on the beer wheel, meaty flavors are supposedly tied to yeast. I concur with brewtool assertion that it is linked to glutamic acid. Umami is not a myth, it is a fact. Some people are just way more sensitive to it. If you like foods like tomatoes, mushrooms and seaweed you like Umami. It is possibly the combination of flavors, along with other factors allowing you to perceive the glutamic acid. That would be my guess, well that and you are probably fairly sensitive to it.

You could do an experiment. Buy a small amount of msg from an Oriental grocer. Take a few grains and add it to a beer and then see if you get the same perception.

Brew what you like. Do this, and you will find your inner brewer.

Old 10-29-2008, 07:11 PM   #9
phissionkorps
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Umami is not a myth, it is a fact
Sorry, science says otherwise.
SpringerLink - Journal Article

Primary: star thistle traditional mead
Secondary: mango melomel, Biere de Garde, dark strong braggot, oud bruin, Paulaner clone, coffee RIS
Bottled: rye wit, sticke alt, Graetzer, Apfelwein, zeus SMaSH, APA

Old 10-29-2008, 07:23 PM   #10
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2776 Times on 1660 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

Quote:
Originally Posted by phissionkorps View Post
Sorry, science says otherwise.
SpringerLink - Journal Article

Meh...Who listens to Jerry Springer anyway?

I think there's too much evidence in support of the taste being perceived...I mean it's been discussed for 100 years after all...

as a cook I can really appreciate being able to bring it forth in a dish I produce...it doesn't happen in all my dishes, but I know when I manage to nail it...

I would have love to have been here;

UMAMI Information Center - New Frontiers of Taste Umami Symposium

This is cool....http://www.umamiinfo.com/images/stor...ent_report.pdf

This is from the panel discussion notes on the pdf.

Quote:
Human milk is actually very high in glutamate. So the breastfed infant is getting an experience that is very different from that of a formula‐fed infant. The other issue I thought was extremely interesting is the persistence and mouth feel that umami gives, which is quite different from that of the other 4 basic tastes in that there is almost a tactile sense. And writers in the 1950’s and 1940’s in the U.S. always
honed in on the fact that not only does umami have taste and a chicken‐y sort of flavor, but that it gives body and depth to food.
There is no question that finding the receptors for glutamate on the tongue, beginning around 1999, has clarified the fact that this really is something that is profoundly important, but I still think we don’t quite understand all the ramifications of those discoveries.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Quick Reply