Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Porter with flaked oats

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2009, 01:35 PM   #1
Pete08
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Porter with flaked oats

A porter recipe so far:

10 lbs 2 row
1 lb 60L
3/4 lb Chocolate

and for some creaminess I was thinking 1 lb of flaked oats. Bad idea? Also, does the chocolate look right? Or should I up it to 1 lb.

I used to be dyslexic, but am KO now!!

Enola Gay--Far East Tour Summer '45--Coming to Your Town, Limited Engagement--Get Your Seats Now!!--They'll Be Gone in a Flash!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2009, 01:46 PM   #2
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 135 Times on 128 Posts

I'd say that's plenty of chocolate (that's 2-3x what most porters use). C120L would probably work better than C60L. You might also consider 2 oz. of Black Barley. Typically, a porter would have some Munich, but 1/2 lb of oats would be an interesting variation.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 08-01-2009, 01:48 PM   #3
BigEd
Recipes 

Liked 118 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete08 View Post
A porter recipe so far:

10 lbs 2 row
1 lb 60L
3/4 lb Chocolate

and for some creaminess I was thinking 1 lb of flaked oats. Bad idea? Also, does the chocolate look right? Or should I up it to 1 lb.
No it's not a bad idea, oats could be an interesting addition to a porter. I would suggest adding more dark malt and that you first think in percentages of the recipe rather than just weight. With the recipe as is the chocolate malt is only about 6%. About 10% dark malt is a good starting point for a dark ale so if you add the pound of oats to the recipe you would figure the dark malt at 1.25-1.5 lbs. For additional color and complexity consider using some black patent or Carafa malt to augment the chocolate. Maybe something like this:

10 lbs pale
1 lb oats
1 lb crystal
1.25 lbs chocolate
.25 lb black patent or Carafa

Old 08-01-2009, 04:34 PM   #4
Pete08
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have made a well-known robust porter recipe from the board here that used black patent, I'm not a huge fan. I'm going for more of BM's Black Pearl Porter, which uses 1lb of 60L and 1 lb of chocolate. This seems close to a BYO Black Butte Porter (mmm) recipe I have seen, but I was thinking oats instead of barley like BM's.

11 lbs. pale
.85 lb 60L
.75 choc.
.5 lbs oats is this enough?

Playing a bit has given me the percentages of the BYO recipe. I wanted a boost in the abv as well. How does it sound?

Enola Gay--Far East Tour Summer '45--Coming to Your Town, Limited Engagement--Get Your Seats Now!!--They'll Be Gone in a Flash!!

Old 08-01-2009, 06:07 PM   #5
Freezeblade
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 13 Posts

Oats are an awesome addition to a porter, imho. Make sure you toast them in an oven on 300F for 30-40 mins to get some extra nuttyness out of it.

Aging:Public House Dry Stout, Procrastination Porter, Mr. Brown Ale, Westvleteren 12 Clone, Mead, Duvel Clone, Graham's English Cider 6-21, Belgian Draak Strong Ale, Fig Melomel, Acerglyn, Restorative Tonic Metheglyn

Old 08-01-2009, 07:41 PM   #6
Pete08
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freezeblade View Post
Oats are an awesome addition to a porter, imho. Make sure you toast them in an oven on 300F for 30-40 mins to get some extra nuttyness out of it.
I was thinking toasting them, at least slightly.

Old 08-01-2009, 07:59 PM   #7
BarleyWater

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Careful with that, I toasted 1/2lb at around 250 for 30 minutes (smelled awesome) and it gave the beer a very, almost overly pronounced toasted oat flavor. It mellowed after a couple months, but it wasn't great at first.

Fermenting: Nada
On Tap:Cran Wit, Dr Pepper Dubbel, Cascadian Pale Ale, Dark Chocolate Stout, Imperial Stout, Brown Mild, Schwarzbier
On Board: IIPA

www.franconiabrewing.com

Quick Reply